xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Zucchini Recipes

Zucchini, also known as courgette by the French, is a marrow or summer squash that is picked when still small. It has a lot of Vitamin C. Zucchinis come in green and yellow varieties that taste much the same, but which type you choose will determine the appearance of your food.

Zucchini and chocolate cake

Ingredients:

3 eggs

300g caster sugar

200ml olive oil

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

250 self-raising flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

100g chopped walnuts

250 grated zucchini

100g melted cooking chocolate

Instructions:

1. Pre-heat the oven to 170 degree C. Grease the sides and line the base of a 24cm cake-baking pan.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until they are pale and frothy.

3. Add the sugar and olive oil and continue beating until the mixture is thick and creamy.

4. Wash and grate the zucchini (no need to skin it), then stir it into the beaten egg mixture.

5. Sift the flour, cinnamon and baking soda together and fold it in along with the chopped nuts and the melted chocolate.

6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about one hour or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. The cake is a moist one and the texture is quite dense but do cook it a little longer if it still seems a little wet.

7. Cool for about 15 minutes in the tin then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.

Serve dusted with a little icing sugar.

Zucchini fritters

Ingredients:

2 medium-sized zucchinis, grated

1 large egg

2 shallots, finely chopped

1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped

Ground black pepper

100g flour sifted together with 1/2 teapoon baking powder

6 tablespoon olive oil

Sour cream or chutney to serve

Instructions:

1. Grate the zucchini onto a chopping board and pat with kitchen paper to remove any excess moisture.

2. Beat the egg in a large bowl then add the zucchini, capsicum, sifted flour, baking powder, shallots and some ground black pepper. Mix to combine well.

3. Cook the fritters in two batches. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and drop mounds of the batter into the pan. Flatten each one slightly and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side until they are crisp and golden. Repeat using the other half of the oil and batter.

Serve sprinkled with some extra shallots, sour cream or chutney.

I haven't tried chocolate with zucchini, but I hear it's a very good combination. I'll have to give your recipe a try!My aunt also used to make these delicious fried zucchini flowers. The outside was golden and crispy, but the inside was so soft and moist (albeit mostly hollow). I don't have the recipe. but I can't imagine it would be that hard to replicate; you just need to come up with a suitable batter to dip the flowers in before frying them. She would grow her own vegetables so she had easy access to zucchini flowers; I don't know where else you'd get them.