xisto Community
Yai64

Private Servers Private server discussions

Right, Right, I don't actually expect him to start making games. However, if he even started a game he'd see that it ain't easy and perhaps he'd appreciate it more. Just a fool's folly, however. I know full well he'll not pay attention to a single word we've said. (Which is evident in the fact he still doesn't see that it is stealing 0_0)And, you're right, this does not belong in game development. One thing that really pisses me off is the fact that this is here. This crap should not be associated with the hard work that actual Game Developers put in.

Often times private servers ask for donations. Guess what, that's still stealing. Those donations could have gone to the actual company and programmers that worked hard on the game. Not only that, most offer their same services (cash shop) for free. Taking their product, which you stole because you didn't pay for it, and giving it to others for free is wrong. Oh wait, you make donation money. I don't care if you don't profit from it. You're still getting money in some form. Therefore it is stealing. If anything you're still taking potential buyers.

The thing about MMORPG private servers, are that there are too many of them.

Ask yourself:

"Is it worth creating a private server to attract player when there are already thousands out there?"

"Is it worth creating a private server and getting sued?"

"Is it worth it to use up RAM and Internet to host one?"

"Is it worth it to get hacked?"

"Is it worth it competing against other servers knowing that they are much better than you?"

Is it worth it in the end?

I say, it is.

When you're creating a private server of your own, have a think about these things.

And be careful out there.

P.S: If you have decided to make a MapleStory private server and are having problems, feel free to PM me. Sorry, I only do MS Private Servers.

To answer these questions:

"Is it worth creating a private server to attract player when there are already thousands out there?"

True that there are thousands out there, but very few of them are for commercial use. There are like 60% of them that are using their own computers as a server, hosting 2-D games, that nobody plays on.

My answer is yes.

"Is it worth creating a private server and getting sued?"

The only way you can get sued is if you're doing illegal acts, like copying a game and hosting it into your own server. But if you host a private server with your OWN game on it, then there shouldnt be a problem. If you're planning to do something illegal, my answer is no. If you're hosting your own private server with your own game, my answer is yes, but you might need some help.'

"Is it worth it to use up RAM and Internet to host one?"

If you're planning to have attracted a lot of users and store a lot of graphics, my answer to that is no, if you're doing that on your own computer. You should try to find a safe server that you could buy from the internet, and just upload it to there. I think Xisto has the option to buy a server or something like that. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

"Is it worth it to get hacked?"

IF you copy a game illegally, then prepare to get hacked. Once hackers find out that your game has no security or hack shield on it (Which is easy to bypass, anyways). they will start hacking. If you create your own game, chances are that there wont be a hacker interested in playing it.

"Is it worth it competing against other servers knowing that they are much better than you?"

As I've answered to the first question:

"True that there are thousands out there, but very few of them are for commercial use. There are like 60% of them that are using their own computers as a server, hosting 2-D games, that nobody plays on.

My answer is yes."

Is it worth it in the end?

If you do not do anything illegal, and have enough experience to create a successful game, then yes. But if you're planning to do so, I'd say forget it, and move on.

Private4MePrivate Servers

I for one, used to hate private servers because people generally say that it's bad. But after playing flyff for 2 years, I finally had enough of their ****ed up customer service and horrible rates. I spent hundreds of $$ on that POS game because they kept me believing that they would make it more balanced, fair for all classes, etc. They only care bout selling their spros with horrible upgrade rates. I liked the game, I hated the company. I moved to a private server, nicer gms, free cash shop items that shouldn't of been even 1/10 of the price they sell it for. PROBLEM SOLVED.

-reply by Screw Real Servers

Not bad - maplestory private serverPrivate Servers

What everyone choses to ignore is the fact that unlike some games, MapleStory is a FREE mmorpg. Creating 100% free private servers does not hurt the Nexon industry at all.

Not only that but a couple of you don't realize that there is such thing as a GNU lisence that allows the "illegal" creation of private servers. And makes it legal.

-reply by Cherry

My ThoughtsPrivate Servers

There's a lot of debate about this subject, I'm rather happy that I was able to post this reply without registering an account, as I wanted to have my say after reading through the entire topic and I'm quite lazy. XD

Hosting a private server free game like MapleStory that features a cash shop (basically any korean grind lol) is morally fine in my opinion if the private server doesn't have a cash shop (even if the items are entirely free), even with a donation form on the website as long as it only goes to the costs of maintaining the server/webpage/forum etc.

MapleStory is a peculiar case though as most games with cash shops are more focused on items that affect you ingame (Spros, 2x xp scrolls etc) then items that have no ingame value other then what you look like, and to be honest that's all the MS cash shop is basically, hundreds of different clothing at ridiculous pricing for a 2D; often under 100x100px image lol. There are two main reasons people play private MS servers, for one they wan't to get really high levelled really quickly, as they don't have the thousand to several thousand of hours spare to dedicate to grinding and MS takes a VERY long time to reach the max level, I spent a good few hundred hours on the game and never reached the last job advancement. The second reason is that they want to buy the full suit that they were able to preview in the ingame cash shop cause it looks awesome, but they didn't have the cash (often over up to 50USD for a full *custom* suit) to spend on the meaningless thing.

So you're potentially losing half of your players if you don't have free cash shop items on a MS private server... Sort of...

The only way to combat this would be to create your on ingame items, ones that looked as good as the real CS items, then make them free, if you manage to get a decent amount of players on your server without the real MS CS items I salute you, I've never hosted a server but I had a fair go at editting .Wz files and it's really not that difficult, all you need is a flair for 2D graphic design (but moreso *PIXEL ART!*) and time.

Of course this is still infringing on the company's TOS and therefore after agreeing to it if the company is able to link your server to your character you *WILL* be banned whether you're a level 30 or a level 180 so if you do make a MS private server be smart and don't provide any relation between the real and private server. You can also be sued theoretically, but if you only make a pocket change from the donations there's not really much ground for their case (of course without you having a free MS CS items). Also honestly there are thousand of private servers out there many of them better then yours that might have been up for months or a year and a have a reasonable player base for a private server that haven't even been contacted by Nexon. So you really have *ABSOLUTELY NO* chance of them suing you, and they most likely won't even know of it..

Nexon *DID* sue Odin, but they were one of the biggest if not the biggest MS servers to date, it was a move done to scare other of.

So to answer your question: "Is it worth it to make a MS Private Server?" I say*NO* as you won't make anything but chump change off it. The only way I'd sayYES would be if you had a coder, and a graphic designer at the very least to modify all the game images and the engine enough so you can't tell it's the MS one. You'd have to have this done before you got on Nexon's radar, so in other words don't get as big as odin until you're games done or damn near it.

I didn't realise how long my post got... =/ That's what having an average typing speed of 200wpm does to you lol... Sorry if I repeated myself a lot.. Also I notice this thread is a few months old I hope necroing ain't real bad on this forum cause if it is I didn't know lol.

Peace.

I agree the dude who started this convo. I totaly agree with you theremy friend Nexon hasFREE mmorpgs. Aboutthem loosing money yeah I can see you people getting mad. But I'm myexperiance in createing private servers (ConquerOnline/MapleStory/WoW)I made it so they leveled kinda close to the same, sure a few thingslike the cash thing was free, but I made it fair...Even though the socalled "companys TQ digital, Nexon are the companys that wont losemoney from Private servers but Blizzard on the other hand will so I saygo ahead make theFREE mmorpgsprivate servers but the companys that requires a subscription I saykeep ya hands off lol unless you have Blizzards approval witch wonthappen lawl!

The only reason I play privates is cause I don't feel like leveling,  and I wanna try all the chars out at max level and it some decent gear. I don't play them so I don't have to pay...

Its there fault for not making a instant max level server -.-

-reply by Uhh.Keywords: mabinogi private servers

Are you people completely mad? The games are free only for you to play them. They make their money off of advertisements and cash shops. On private servers, they don't make their money.

Bottomline line is that you have absolutely no right to do it. When you download and install the client, you agree to a license that says you will refrain from doing just that.

The reason most people play private servers is because they want to try out a toon at the max level, not to avoid paying. That was the main idea of the private server. Besides... It's not like the people that made the private server ripping the real version are getting paid for it... Doesn't hurt nobody, Also I add that If they play the real version f2p and not p2p then they go to a private server, the real server wouldn't be losing anything. And if they were f2p, who cares? The creator of the real server got paid for the time the user of the server played... Creator made money, why does Creator complain? I'll take his money if hes complaining about it.

-reply by Ryan

Private serverPrivate Servers

I am for private servers,but however it does affect Nexon. It takes players away from them, players that could have potentially bought NX cash. Private servers in itself are not illegal seeing as nexon distributes their files to millions of people. What IS illegal is donations(I think), and more specifically distributing the client which is editing the files and such. What makes it most definately illegal is the new ToS. If your a nerd like me and read it just for the info and understanding, then you know. If you don't, here it is:

"In addition you agree not to create, design, disseminate, link,Distribute, provide access to or use any third party programs, bots,Scripts, codes, bypass, memory scanning software, hacks or cheatsDesigned to alter the game play or to modify the code to play the gameDifferently than it was intended by means of programs not permitted orAuthorized by Nexon, which include, but are not limited to: hacks,Private servers, cheat engines, memory altering scripts or codes(including but not limited to disconnection hacks), auto clickers, anyType of bots and/or game cheats. Any use, dissemination or design ofSuch programs shall be deemed a material breach by you of these TermsOf Service for which you will be liable to Nexon for any resultingDamages. You agree that if you host or operate a private server of aNexon game or host or operate a hack site that sells hacks to a NexonGame or if you distribute, disseminate, design, code, moderate and/orProvide free or paid access to private forums that sell or distributeHacks, or assist in the design of any private servers or third partyPrograms (such as hacks) that alter the game play of any Nexon game,You will have the unconditional obligation to pay Nexon America Inc.The sum of One Hundred Thousand ($100,000) Dollars for each suchProgram (including patches) and versions thereof as liquidated damages.You also agree that if you use such a program to play any of the NexonGames, or engage in the use of a private server, you will have theUnconditional obligation to pay Nexon America Inc. The sum of OneThousand ($1,000) Dollars as liquidated damages for each time you useSuch a program, which shall be due and payable immediately uponNotification to you of said infraction"I know its a lot, but please read it. This ToS states that not only does the owner have to pay $100,00, but each player has to pay $1,000 each time you use the program.

Please keep in mind that I play private servers, and this post had no purpose other than to clear up the illegal or not issue.

-reply by iSoda

human knowledge belongs to the world!(?)

They are games for gods sake, why do you even care if a bunch of guys that don't have access to a credit card and want to try a lame version of the game do it?

I mean, how much people that can afford a WoW account do you think play on private servers.

Thats why I support pirating, because smart companies don't sell the game, they sell the service and that my friend, you cant steal.

God damn it.Private Servers

Why the **** are you people arguing.  This is one of the most freaking pathetic arguments I have seen in a long while.  See,  nobody leaves a game as is anymore.  People make hacks, edits, codes, cheats, to even console video games.  Yet no one ever complains about Action Replays or Code Breakers or Game Sharks!  No one complains about homebrew or chiping or modding.  Yet, when someone modifies an online game people go ape****.  Sony doesn't complain.   Nintendo doesn't complain.  Microsoft doesn't complain.  See, what I think is that if they give you the chance to do whatever the **** you want with stuff that you download or buy.  As of after you get that box from the front desk or that download from your website, they have just given you their product, your very own copy.  A few people who aren't lazy feel as though that the game is not very fun, so they use THEIR copy of THEIR files from THEIR computer to make THEIR own private server!  Now, others, who are too lazy to make one make one go to someone who wasn't and made one join it, because they wish to use THEIR files and THEIR computer to make THEIR gaming experince better.  Now people who don't want to that is THEIR decision.  I proudly using private servers and that is just my decision.

-reply by Chris

Priv server thingPrivate Servers

Look deamon, its bound to happen, its GONNA happen, and you cant stop it, if the companies don't want their games emulated, don't make the games, its their fault, they published the game knowing this could and will happen eventually to their game, all they can do is add terms and sue, thats all.

-reply by Abraham