xisto Community

How did the physical Universe come to be?Many Scientists at present support the Big Bang hypothesisThis is that an initially extremely hot, dense, and undifferentiated universe, which may have existed since the beginning of eternity underwent an explosive episode... and so on.Let's call this the moot point.There are actually quite a few alternatives:One alternative is 'Dynamic Equilibrium', a variation on the steady state idea. ... It didn't 'come to be' it's what was always there.Or please do suggest other ideas ......(BTW: You are allowed to be humourous if you want.)

What about Intelligent Design Theory. More and more scientists believe that there is an intelligent designer who created the universe. The more we explore 'out there' and more we explore in miniture 'micro science' seems to support the theory that there is an intelligent design to the universe. How is that so you may ask-it all rests on faith. Whether ones faith is in science alone or other philosophies, theologies etc it is still faith. The big bang could have occured but what happened the split second before it? That is what scientists cannot know. I have seen research that counters the idea of the big bang and the age of the universe as the gases and material to cause certain planets to exist could not have formed in the given time frames.Anyway the philosophy of science is an important topic and is related to what Clouser called 'The Myth of Religious Neutrality' the idea that every philosophy and belief has a cosmological belief behind it, whether it is recognised or not.KJ

What about Intelligent Design Theory. More and more scientists believe that there is an intelligent designer who created the universe. The more we explore 'out there' and more we explore in miniture 'micro science' seems to support the theory that there is an intelligent design to the universe. How is that so you may ask-it all rests on faith. Whether ones faith is in science alone or other philosophies, theologies etc it is still faith.

No it's not. You could perhaps say that people believe in Science, and they do, of course, because not everyone has to know every little detail of a theory to believe it. However, Science has been able to provide us with predictions, no only a glimpse of how the past might have been. So, you might say it is a little more than faith, because we have some proofs. :)Also, about Intelligent Design... many say, for example, that "from the myriad of possible molecules, how could the Earth be filled with H2O?". They say this is "Intelligent Design"... However, this actually has to do with the optimal configuration of the atoms within the molecule, so it is not a "one in a billion" shot, after all. It's quite natural, in fact. Also, Oxygen exists in many many places around the universe (and H+ is really abundant, as everyone knows).

The big bang could have occured but what happened the split second before it? That is what scientists cannot know. I have seen research that counters the idea of the big bang and the age of the universe as the gases and material to cause certain planets to exist could not have formed in the given time frames.

Well, there are limits for human knowledge, obviously, but consider the fact that not so many years ago, we couldn't even imagine the Earth was round, and now we can see far away through the stars... There's always room for improvement. About the time frames... these seem pretty consistent nowadays :)

The cosmic physics is the odd science. It can explain, with huge confidence, the entire history of the universe from about the first tenth of a second of time onwards. A few years ago cosmologists were inclined to claim that at any moment they might have the whole answer, they would be able to explain how the universe borrowed energy from nowhere, puffed itself up from nothing, burst into starlight, exploded with supernovae and produced a sludge of elements that finally delivered a creature intelligent enough to read The Da Vinci Code.
--------------------------------------------------------
nancypricella

Influencer

Genesis of the Universe via the Big bang theory huh? If that were so, then there would probably be a lesser elements in the outer rims of the Universe, if any part of the big bang existed that is, and, more or less, there would still big lumps nearing the center. However, such things are yet to be proven to be true. Since tangible evidence is quite impossible to acquire, all we can do is prove the theories to be fool proof. As of now, not one has been proven to be just that. As for me, I am yet to find a theory I would choose to believe in. I did not like Big bang theory in the first place for I really thought it was a far fetched idea. But hey, everything is far fetched in the beginning so I'd rather wait it out to see how the universe really started.