xisto Community
Hooligan

What Is Your Take On Linux?

I will admit first that I am a big Linux fan. In general, I find Linux platforms to be much more stable than even the most patched of Windows machines. And in addition, it makes for a very useable and productive workstation and/or home PC. These days I'm quite fond of the Slackware distribution, as it's well known for only going with the most stable of apps in it's packages. Do you like Linux, and if so what distribution do you prefer?Also, I meant to ask. Could any Linux users recommend me some first-person shooters built for Linux? I only had partial sucess running Half-Life under WINE.

Edited by Hooligan (see edit history)

I like Linux very mush, I am moderator on some Serbian Linux forums, I write for our Serbian Linux magazin (Gnuzilla) and I like it very much. I use Gentoo Linux, Fluxbox desktop, xmms music player, xine video player, xcdroast burnerWorker filemanager, Opera browser, sylpheed-claws mail client, Gaim messinger, GIMP image editor TVtime for watching tv etc.

I have been runed Half Life under linux, it work fine with cedega emulator (note. cedega iz new generation of winex emulator). This can be find in https://www.transgaming.com/ but it is not free.

linux is good, for almost everything, except home PC. The problem is that you need to have certain knowledge of Unix comands, which most normal users don't. and linux, especially X-windows is very easy to break down when you play with it. For servers, workstations that is OK, once setup you don't need to touch it again, you don't even need a moniter.

I agree... When it comes to running Linux for professional use, it is the best. But, when it comes to typical home user, Linux is very very scary. I have been working with computers for more than 10 years now, and started on C64, and moved up... When I first installed Linux, it took me great amount of time to set up properly, and even longer to setup X Win...So, for home use, by typical home users, Linux is very, very complicated... When i say typical home user, I mean on the great population of people, who are kind of afraid of computers, and don'y know very much about them. And by afraid, I mean afraid of breaking them :PSo, for professional use Linux scores 1, and for home use, Windows 1 :D

Ok, but there are some easy to install and use linux distributions (eg. Mandreke)

Yes and suse is easy for install, feudora as well, If you have those linux on dvd there are no problems with instalation, you don't have to insert on cd then another and so because debian have 9 cd-s this is really many cd-s :P and you can have it on one dvd :Dhttp://www.mojcd.com/
you can get any linux for about 7$ but this page is in croatian langugage so...30 kn is about 5$ but 2$ are shipping B)1 kn is 6.5 $ so you can calculate :D

Linux is great. It is free of alot of problems that other operating systems have, but it also has issues (such as software compatibility). In fact, the only reason I continue to use a Microsoft operating system is because Linux operating systems lack good support for mainstream games. All of my other computer activities can easily be performed on Linux. I have not overlooked Cedega (a game emulator for Linux). It just does not work well enough. I believe Linux will continue to improve especially if major companies begin/continue to write software for the platform. The great thing about Linux is its versatility. With hundreds of distros to choose from you can find the distro that fits you best. Personally, I will continue to work toward ending Windows' usefullness in my computing experience.

LINUX IS THE BEST. I have ran Linux since February 2004, almost for a year. I have SuSE Linux 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4) on my laptop and SuSE Linux 9.1 (kernel 2.6.10) w/ X.ORG server replacement on my desktop. I still have Windows XP intact for gaming but I rarely go on that partition now. My favourite distros are Yoper and SuSE! I'm 80% Bill Gates free. The 20% includes WinXP, Microsoft Game Studios games and MSN Messenger.I am also active at the America's Army General Linux forum and sometimes in the Linux support forum.xboxrulz

I plan on putting a partition of Fedora on my new gaming rig I'm building. Of course I'm going to have the bigger HDD with the Windows partition, as I will only be using Linux for fooling around, doing basic tasks, and just if i feel like it. One cool thing im looking fowards for is the 64 bit linux support, so my AMD Athlon's 64 bit power wont be wasted.

I have used linux on home pc and it is really good. Earlier version need some unix knowledge to install it. But newer ones like Mandrake, Redhat are easier to install and come with a whole lot of utilites. The cost is the major factor which is almost zero compared to MS Win.Cheers.

OK, there are som new linux distributions that are hard to install, but Mandrake, Suse, Rad Hat are quite simple, so anybody can make them run. Mandrake have very good partitioning tool, something like Partition magick, so instalation and partitioning is very simple. All you need is alredy included on this distribution, you have internet tools, music, film players, ... everything :D

Also, bugs are definately included in Mandrake :DGo for Gentoo (experts), SuSE and Yoper (newbs and intermediate users) instead!xboxrulzP.S: Re: my information earlier: I have upgraded my system to SUSE LINUX 9.2 (2.6.8-default)

I'm not really big on linux, I tried to load mandrake on my old computer, and it refused to set up X-windows correctly. Apparently, it didn't like the graphics card. After that experience, I'm not letting it touch my main machine. Just a few weeks ago I managed to find my XP disk and product ID to put an OS back on. (Why do setup disks have that inexplicable tendancy to hide?) So yea, for me, windows. I would try linux if I had a newer computer to experiment on, but for now, windows is working fine. As long as u re-install it once a year or so it stays pretty fast.