xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
csp4.0

We're Not Going To Die Today! LHC is NOT going to doom us ALL

I have read books about this, had an exam about this and... a lot more. In theory it could work, but we all know that is just theory. Classmates of my friends were crying, complaining and trust me; they thought the world was going to end. Of course some newspaper made the whole thing look a lot more serious. The nice newspapers brought in scientists (?) that wrote some calming words to those who were very worried.Me? I laugh about it. It is an amazing project, but would they do this if it was a huge risk? Would we for example blow up a whole city just to see what happens, why happens and understand more about it. We will not need this "new" knowledge if there will be no more; life, earth or the world as we know it. ...nothing has happened yet, right? If it do; please keep it in Switzerland. :)

Heh, the only thing we need to worry about is January 19, 2038. That is when the unix time stamp will have a bit overflow error and every program will stop working. Kinda like y2K except it is known for a fact that at that time every 32-bit program will get a fatal error. Everything will have to be changed to 64-bit by that time. XD

Yeah I see some valid points as to why would they spend so much money on trying to find a particle that most likely doesn't exist, and what I find interesting that they are able to to produce the speed of light in that machine. Just imagine if they could start converting that to energy and fun stuff like that. Of course, I would agree that it would take one hell of a equation and dumb luck to produce a man made black hole, but being able to sustain one would be even harder to do. Either way why would we want to produce a black hole for especially what it can do and right now there is no way to harness that power except in a sci-fi book.

The LHC created a black hole even before it was switched on!
How many billions of dollars have disappeared into it since they started building it? And what benefit is it going to be on a global scale? Is it going to feed the starving millions in Africa? Is it going to bring peace to the Middle East? It seems to be that it is just a black hole, sucking up money for the sake of it. If they spent as much money on figuring out the problems on our own planet as they do on figuring out the problems of the universe, then we would all be better off!

That's money hungry organizations and/or the government for you.
Only thinking about themselves and the unnecessary stuff they think they need to do instead of the unfortunate people living in poverty that are dieing every day.