xisto Community
-Sky-

Web Design Help I need help designing my website homepage if possible?

Hey Xisto Users! :)

I'd like to get some help from experienced Trap members, to help me get my homepage of Central-Gaming design page up. :)

If possible, I'd like to have the following used:

HTML

PHP

Maybe some jscript

Also, what I'm trying to do is create a homepage (A good homepage) for Central-Gaming. (My site). :(

Some themes of banners/images etc, anything game related, and that would do nicely on the homepage. I'd also like a left navigation bar (nav bar) with the "Xisto Network links", then a nav menu "Central-Gaming" "Forums" "Homepage" "Arcade" "Store" etc etc. :D

If ANYONE on here can help me, I'd be really really happy and would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well, if you're going to be having a lot of pages on your site you might want some php so that you don't have to retype your left menu on every page you go to. Course this will work for any html that you plan to repeat on almost every page.

menu.txt:

<link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><div id="menu">-actual menu-</div>

Your actual .php page would then look something like...

page.php:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"	 "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ page</title><?php include('top.txt'); ?><p>This is some content on the page.</p></body></html>

I hope that helps!
Edited by Deretto (see edit history)

If you are having a forums. Consider integrating your website into whatever forum software you are choosing (i.e. in Other words, have your homepage as a portal for whatever forum software you are going to use (which I highly recomment phpBB3.x.x))Integrating your site with your forum would mean you can share sessions (i.e. You can have logins, and you can register etc without having to enter the forum's register/login etc)Or consider using a CMS software (i.e. I personally recommend Joomla! For this though I still prefer no CMS...)With the Navigation bar, use a CSS navigation bar creator to first get the code and then if you want, modify it to fit your website...What are you aiming for your homepage? Full integration with your forum software (Which you should go with a portal), partially integrated (Which you should make your own, i.e. For phpBB3.x.x all you need to do is put a few lines of code and you can use its templating system, language system, etc), or if you want it separate but with logins (Which I recommend you use a CMS, though CMS such as Joomla! can be integrated with phpBB3.x.x), or if you just want the PHP to be as simple as possible and only use the INCLUDE, REQUIRE (which I recommend over INCLUDE) tags...Try to aim high up and don't start small as the best way to learn is to "learn-as-you-go" and not learn a bit, use it, learn more use it...Also, to get more users use less graphics and focus on the content at the start. And only use graphics when necessary so you can keep the dialup users returning. Also make sure that all your code gets validated before its gets uploaded. Try not to directly edit things from cPanel's filemanager. Get Apache (or something) and do some localhost (127.0.0.1) testing before you upload with multiple browsers (including IE6) just to make sure it displays properly so that nobody would get missing info.

Well, if you're going to be having a lot of pages on your site you might want some php so that you don't have to retype your left menu on every page you go to. Course this will work for any html that you plan to repeat on almost every page.
menu.txt:

<link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><div id="menu">-actual menu-</div>

Your actual .php page would then look something like...

page.php:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"	 "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ page</title><?php include('top.txt'); ?><p>This is some content on the page.</p></body></html>

I hope that helps!
Thanks Deretto, but could you possibly create me a PHP page and the menu? I'd rubbish with PHP, and HTML really. I just know a small amount of HTML. :)

If you are having a forums. Consider integrating your website into whatever forum software you are choosing (i.e. in Other words, have your homepage as a portal for whatever forum software you are going to use (which I highly recomment phpBB3.x.x))
Integrating your site with your forum would mean you can share sessions (i.e. You can have logins, and you can register etc without having to enter the forum's register/login etc)

Or consider using a CMS software (i.e. I personally recommend Joomla! For this though I still prefer no CMS...)

With the Navigation bar, use a CSS navigation bar creator to first get the code and then if you want, modify it to fit your website...

What are you aiming for your homepage? Full integration with your forum software (Which you should go with a portal), partially integrated (Which you should make your own, i.e. For phpBB3.x.x all you need to do is put a few lines of code and you can use its templating system, language system, etc), or if you want it separate but with logins (Which I recommend you use a CMS, though CMS such as Joomla! can be integrated with phpBB3.x.x), or if you just want the PHP to be as simple as possible and only use the INCLUDE, REQUIRE (which I recommend over INCLUDE) tags...

Try to aim high up and don't start small as the best way to learn is to "learn-as-you-go" and not learn a bit, use it, learn more use it...

Also, to get more users use less graphics and focus on the content at the start. And only use graphics when necessary so you can keep the dialup users returning. Also make sure that all your code gets validated before its gets uploaded. Try not to directly edit things from cPanel's filemanager.

Get Apache (or something) and do some localhost (127.0.0.1) testing before you upload with multiple browsers (including IE6) just to make sure it displays properly so that nobody would get missing info.

I don't really like CMS, phpbb or any of them. I tried installing Joomla, but it said it needs mysql. I put mysql and it didn't connect, so it won't allow it on localhost. Any suggestions?