xisto Community
alapidus

Learning Hardcode Of Vb? without the GUI...

is there any place where i can learn to code VB without learning the GUI? i'm stripped for cash right now and i wanna learn BASIC. is there any place online where i can learn the coding assuming i don't want to use the program?if not, can anyone recommend another popular version of BASIC with a good online tutorial?thanx in advance

The whole point of Visual Basic is the GUI. For one of the easiest to learn and cheapest versions of BASIC, try QBASIC (a.k.a. QuickBasic). QBASIC comes standard with any true MS-DOS machine. Otherwise, do a search for download qb7.1 to find the most recent version. For great tutorials, search for Vic qbasic tutorial. Hope this helps.

There was a book I bought 3 years ago and the visual basic CD came free with it. Another place VB is available is in excel and accesses. If the original poster has either of these platforms he could learn VB from within those platforms. The GUI stuff is so easy why not use it even if you just have one button that says start program.

speaking of the hardcode... another question: is there any difference between the syntax of qbasic and that of visual basic?

Very few differences between the code exist, simply because the code of VB has to interact with the GUI environment. But I started with QBASIC, and all of the QBASIC commands are supported in VB, and control structures like loops, cnditionals, and variables work the same way. As far as the book goes, there is one that is made by SAMS that has their Teach Yourself VB in 21 Days, and Teach Yourself More VB in 21 Days, as well as an intriductory version of VB. THis is what I currently have. The introductory version doesn't have all of the control structures as the full version, and it doesn't allow compilation. If you are at a university you can probably get full VB for $5, or full Visual Studio for $35. As far as the SAMS combo goes, it is around $10 at Amazon.

speaking of the hardcode... another question: is there any difference between the syntax of qbasic and that of visual basic?

42526[/snapback]

differences are in OBJECT level of programing...in Visual Basic you have objects.

So you are programing in OOP (Object Oriented Programing). Like you have form, so you say in VB:

form1.show=true

or form1.enabled=true

form1 is object, show or enabled is atributes of object...and so on if u get the picture..In simple BASIC like QBASIC you have just variables and functions, and that's it...and you make calls for functions, and u use variables...

In Visual basic you have also predefined functions, and globals, and of course same old variables...In addition you get object and u work with object witch are stored in programing language like some sort of classes (In C), and that 'quazi classes' or 'so called classes' are using atributes to define the object that they making... so GENERALY... :P speaking hardcore, differences are LOT, but it's very easy to use to it, and MAN u will like it to make your first program VISUAL.

I suggest you to learn VB, and then to try other sort of VISUAL languages like VISUAL C, or JBUILDER (for java).. :D

Nah don't learn VB or BASIC learn C then C++...they have memory stuff that confuses VB/BASIC programmers...so use C then C++ and you have lots of power when you program. Especially pointers. I once showed an advanced VB programmer pointers and refrences and they didn't understand. O.o

While C++ is a more powerful programming language, and I use it frequently, I still feel that starting to learn to program in some form of BASIC would be better. BASIC has a lot of features built right into it that C++ does not offer, such as graphics routines and easy string manipulation. Also, it is useful when beginning to program not to need to worry about memory. However, I would eventually learn C++, such as when you have written a program in BASIC that runs well and is more complex than a simple calculator if you are in VB and definitely more complex than Hello World.

Still graphics are important why? BASIC gave me bad coding habbits like not parsing, not indenting code, assign a variable without iniatilizing it...but those things have almost worn off.

You do raise a good point, BASIc does tend to promote spaghetti code. I guess it is better to learn whichever language is the easiest to get a compiler/interpreter and tutorials for. It also tends to depend on what you want in a language.