xisto Community
shadowx

A Rant About Life And Work... Also A Plea For Advice

Firstly may i remark on the irony of having a forum title that is "trapped in *BLEEP*" and not being able to swear in posts?anyhoo.. my rant... Im 19, just turned, been college and it was an absolute waste of two years of my life (i live in the uk btw) we had 3 teachers for ICT, one we got fired for being "mentally unfit to teach"... And this place isnt even some run down place, just the ICT staff suck, she actually asked the class which one was the network cable... This woman is supposed to be teaching 16-19 year olds about computers, and she asks that... Need i comment more on the state of my ICt education? I think not, so i shall move on.I consider myself a skilled coder, as you can see i am in the coding group and i am a PHP programmer. Of cours ei also know HTML, CSS, some JS and a tad of AJAX along with various skills and knowledge in web hosting, web and computer technology, the web hosting process (choosing host, uploading, configging the site and email, getting a domain name, pointing it at your host etc..) So basically if you said to me today "code me a website, upload it and give it a name" id have it done in a week, provided it was a plain old site :)But the downfall is my design skills. I cannot design for... well turd... It just doesnt work, i cant decide what colours to put together, i cant decide what renders or graphics to use etc... I can code from a design with no problem but making a design sucks. Because of my computer skills and general (dare i say this...) above average IQ, common sense and overall knowledge i consider myself too good to waste it all in reatil, or mac donalds or some crap. I need more, i need opportunity, i need responsibility, i need to move up the ladder and not stay at the bottom.... I want to use my skills, it would be like david beckham playing table tennis, or bill gates being a cleaner. Its just not right.Ive been through enough to know that no-one but myself can change this, and i will succeed, i will make something out of myself. The key is time... we only get one life (perhaps) and i refuse to waste half of it working in some dead end job waiting, waiting, waiting and wasting. I refuse. so what do i do.. now i could go back to college... do a design course, but the problem is this. I consider myself proficient at web coding, but it is the design i need to learn and almost every course ive read says things like "gain a core knowledge of FTP, email, HTML etc..." i already have that. going on that course would be patronizing, degrading and a waste of my life. I honestly think that if i go on a course like that there is NOTHING that they can teach me that i dont already know. Now that is not to say i know it all, there are many things in my field that i have yet to learn, but these clowns arent going to teach me it are they? all they care about is getting me through a freaking test, i can do that already. So i could find the course i want, but can design be taught? I mean its like being an artist, you cant be TAUGHT to be an artist, you either have it or you dont, simple as. Its not a logical thing like coding, which anyone with a high enough IQ can learn, its like being a musician, some people can, some cant. And in design i fall into the "cant" category. So even though im a good coder, i cant go freelance because i cant design. I cant get a job an an agency or as an in house developer because i cant get experience, and i cant get experience because no-one will take me on.. Its just ridic...Anyway, rant over. If you have any suggestions about how i can learn design, if thats even possible, or how to break into the development trade let me know...

Oh for me, i'm the other way round. I can design, but my coding skills are elementary :) Then again, I don't depend on web designing for a living, so that's ok for me.I feel your indignance though. If you enjoy web development and you have the technical know-how, then go for it. Having the technical know-how is really something that people like me envy. It's really frustrating when you have all these great ideas in your head but you can't execute them.Anyway, about designing. You can learn theories about basic stuff like the impact of colors, shapes, lines etc on the viewer. They teach that stuff in a design elective that I went for long time ago. But as you said, the artistic part of designing can't be taught using theory. You have to experience and experiment yourself. What you should do is study other people's designs - advertisements, websites, book covers, they are practically everywhere... Observe how they put colors, different elements together. For starters, you can try to adapt a design that you like e.g. a design from an advertisement to a website, and see how it turns out, then alter it bit by bit to get what you want. When you start developing the knack for designing, you can start making your own original designs. I hope my advice helps!

Thanks, i just find it hard to think of what goes in that big empty space, or what colour that bar/area should be etc... It wouldnt be too bad if i could get a company to give me a go, or look at my scripts and see i can do this stuff but they wont, they just want commercial experience and crap like that... *sigh* ill have to just keep doing some designs i guess

Thanks, i just find it hard to think of what goes in that big empty space, or what colour that bar/area should be etc...
It wouldnt be too bad if i could get a company to give me a go, or look at my scripts and see i can do this stuff but they wont, they just want commercial experience and crap like that... *sigh* ill have to just keep doing some designs i guess

dear shadowx,

In my knowing, that a person like you must be active in left brain but not the right brain. The right brain is about creative and the ability to think out of the box. You need to be tender to be creative (believe me), and i have a method if you like and believe me, here is the way
- Sit in meditation position, in full lotus or half lotus. Half lotus is good i think, put your left left above the right one
- Stick together your index finger and middle finger (like pointing) straight
- Sit with your backbone posture straight and being relax
- Now put your index finger and middle finger and point it on your forehead, at the middle between your eyebrow
- Use your thumb to close your right nostril, breathe in (using left nostril) and hold a second or two while imagine that your right brain becomes bright and clean
- Use your ring finger to close your left nostril, and breathe out (using right nostril) and imagine that your head feel relax
- do this again and again, my teacher teach me do it in 13 circle breathe in and out for right brain. and then 13 circle for left brain in opposite way

Another way is, try to draw something on paper, draw anything, from simple object to difficult one. It can activate your right brain. I suggest if you like to do something repeatly, like going to work/college, try changing your route, eat different food than the place that you usually eat, that way you are going out of the usual box.
Edited by innosia (see edit history)

You don't necessarily need a degree in design to prove that you can do it; you just need a portfolio so that when you send in resumes for jobs, you can give them some site URLs which you designed, and they can look at them and see if they like what you have to offer. Given this, you can more easily pursue a design education in a more self-studied type of way. This would enable you to skip over the stuff you already know and just focus on what YOU want to learn, rather than following someone else's syllabus. Pick up some books about color theory and design, and just start reading. It may seem like it'll never sink in at first, but eventually you'll get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Talk to other designers, see what they use and what tips they have to offer. Above all, practice. As I mentioned before, you'll want a portfolio of work you've done. These can be your own personal projects, just as long as you have something to show for what you can do.Most importantly, don't discourage! You may even find that you can get a job that doesn't require design. But in the case that you don't, if you pursue this self-study, you'll be better prepared and have a wider variety of opportunities.Good luck! :)

You don't necessarily need a degree in design to prove that you can do it; you just need a portfolio so that when you send in resumes for jobs, you can give them some site URLs which you designed, and they can look at them and see if they like what you have to offer. Given this, you can more easily pursue a design education in a more self-studied type of way. This would enable you to skip over the stuff you already know and just focus on what YOU want to learn, rather than following someone else's syllabus. Pick up some books about color theory and design, and just start reading. It may seem like it'll never sink in at first, but eventually you'll get a sense of what works and what doesn't. Talk to other designers, see what they use and what tips they have to offer. Above all, practice. As I mentioned before, you'll want a portfolio of work you've done. These can be your own personal projects, just as long as you have something to show for what you can do.
Most importantly, don't discourage! You may even find that you can get a job that doesn't require design. But in the case that you don't, if you pursue this self-study, you'll be better prepared and have a wider variety of opportunities.

Good luck! :)

Is programmer also being asked to do design jobs? I think programmer just need to do the technical programming, but it really good to understand design. But may I know that do you know design and programming both?

hum thanks guys, i guess ill just persevere, download some e-books or maybe even go to the library!

Is programmer also being asked to do design jobs? I think programmer just need to do the technical programming, but it really good to understand design. But may I know that do you know design and programming both?

I dont know if this was meant for me but ill answer anyway... Im a coder, i dont design things, i just write the code for other people. I want to work for myself but to do that i need to be able to design, otherwise i need to find and pay a designer and loose half the profits because of it. Its a pain

hum thanks guys, i guess ill just persevere, download some e-books or maybe even go to the library! I dont know if this was meant for me but ill answer anyway... Im a coder, i dont design things, i just write the code for other people. I want to work for myself but to do that i need to be able to design, otherwise i need to find and pay a designer and loose half the profits because of it. Its a pain

hi shadow,
wah thats good to do job instead of working with others just have fix salary. Maybe open many sites and try to look at their design

Have you considered doing contract work? You could work for yourself in the sense that you won't be attached to any company, but you might be able to find specific jobs that require only coding knowledge. Perhaps peruse the local listings and see what you find?

mm contract work is Ok but id be loosing half, or more, of my earnings through the designer taking his cut.

Ive made a design that is one of my best and once ive posted it up in a new topic ill link it here (leave all feedback in the other post though of course)

I went to the library today to see if there were any books but alas its all how to learn CSS and HTML etc.. which i dont need.

The link to my post is Here At the time of writing this it isnt yet active, it needs to approved by the mods, so if you get a board error check back later. Thans.

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

mm contract work is Ok but id be loosing half, or more, of my earnings through the designer taking his cut.
Ive made a design that is one of my best and once ive posted it up in a new topic ill link it here (leave all feedback in the other post though of course)

I went to the library today to see if there were any books but alas its all how to learn CSS and HTML etc.. which i dont need.

The link to my post is Here At the time of writing this it isnt yet active, it needs to approved by the mods, so if you get a board error check back later. Thans.

shadowx, maybe try to search in google for colours that match up
anyway shadowx, how old r u, and have u married? and what country r u?

I could try google, for now me and the designer i know are going to approach a local nightclub and see if we can strike a deal there, i do coding, he does design. So lets hope!And im 19, living in the UK and i am not married. (that is the limit of personal info im going to tell the world :))

I could try google, for now me and the designer i know are going to approach a local nightclub and see if we can strike a deal there, i do coding, he does design. So lets hope!
And im 19, living in the UK and i am not married. (that is the limit of personal info im going to tell the world :))

hehe okay shadowx, sorry asking too much
Yes, that will certainly happens. HAPPENING!!!

Sometimes when i am lazy or has no time, i just view some webs, and then look at their design, and create the similar one, perhaps changing colours, adding or minus something

I feel you. I think this is why many graduates end up in a profession other than the one they are degreed in. It can get frustrating. Remain patient. It's your best friend right now. Patience shouldn't be allowed to become 'passive'. Keep on, keeping on.

I'd advise that you get a pt job. Anything really. Not only will it produce some income, but it will aid you in avoidance of feeling, 'not good enough'. I don't mean to imply that you feel this way now, but experience has taught me that the longer I'm out of work, the greater probability of this. Hang in there!

Oh, BTW: Once you get a job, you'll need this: http://www.gamesbox.com/games/2600/Whack_Your_Boss_17_Ways_NEW

ENJOY!

Michael

Thanks, i just find it hard to think of what goes in that big empty space, or what colour that bar/area should be etc...
It wouldnt be too bad if i could get a company to give me a go, or look at my scripts and see i can do this stuff but they wont, they just want commercial experience and crap like that... *sigh* ill have to just keep doing some designs i guess

Really? :) But you could make an online portfolio and send the link of your website to them right? It shouldn't take up too much of their time or trouble just to take a look. If you haven't already got an online portfolio, then it's time to make one. Put up all your scripts and stuff and whatever you think will impress them.