xisto Community
travstatesmen

Cannot Connect With Ftp [resolved] Default account can, but not created FTP account.

I have a bit of a strange problem that someone here may be able to help with. I am preparing my new Xisto account for my new site, and am setting up FTP access. I can login quite fine by using the default login details, using my cPanel username and password as my FTP login credentials. However, I have created a new FTP account using cPanel, giving access directly to the /public_html/ folder, with a username of webmaster. Below is the result of a Core FTP session, which shows that my password is not being accepted...

Resolving ftp.travstatesmen.trap17.com...  Connect socket #696 to 208.87.243.146, port 21...220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------  220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.  220-Local time is now 02:48. Server port: 21.  220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.  220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------  USER webmaster  331 User webmaster OK. Password requiredPASS **********  530 Login authentication failed
As you see, my username is accepted, but my password is not. Now, please don't think that I have just forgotten my password or typed it in incorrectly, or I have my capslock on or something stupid like that. I use a password manager called KeePass Password Manager, and as I have already mentioned, I am able to login successfully using the default cPanel credentials, which I also put into my Core FTP client from KeePass. I have tried "dumbing down" my password for the webmaster account, using less complexity and less characters, but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

The username is not webmaster but webmaster@travstatesmen.trap17.com if I remember correctly. When it states the username is OK, it means it follows the right format and was accepted by the server, not that it actually exists.

How silly of me! You are so right, rvalkass. I have amended this now in my KeePass and also in my Core FTP client software, and I can now connect quite happily. Thanks for the prompt response! I will go back to setting up my account now. There is so much to do! I have just created my Mail accounts, set up my Microsoft Outlook client for POP3 access to my Xisto email accounts, then set up ActiveSync to synchronize them with my smartphone, so that I can read and reply to my Xisto email on the go.

I will wait to upload my website files until the weekend, when I have more time to concentrate on it, but I'm getting everything in place before that first.

Not a problem - I made exactly the same mistake with my account when I first got it :)Topic is resolved.Please PM any moderator to continue this discussion. Until then, this topic is closed.