xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
travstatesmen

Cannot Redirect Audio Output To Bluetooth Headset Using an Ericsson HBH-60 with a Sprint PPC6700

Posted ImagePosted Image

I have a problem that you people may be able to help me with. I have a Sprint PPC6700 smartphone, like the one above. I have been using it quite fine with my Ericsson HBH-60 bluetooth headset, as pictured above. I used to use it to listen to music sometimes, and I could divert the audio output to the headset just by pressing the activate button on the headset. This all worked fine for some time, but now it doesn't.

What changed is that I installed the ALU 2.2 update on the cellphone, which is a ROM flash upgrade. This upgrade has been really great, and has opened up a lot of new functionality on the smartphone. One thing that it has enabled that wasn't there before is the voice commands, and voice dialing. To start using a voice command or using voice dialing, I have to press the activate button on the headset, just as I did to divert audio output prior to the ALU 2.2 upgrade. Doing this now not only diverts the audio output to the bluetooth headset, but now also starts the voice commands program expecting a voice command through the headset and outputting error messages through the headset. I can no longer just get the audio output to divert to the headset without the voice commands getting in the way. I want to still be able to make use of voice commands, but I also want to be able to listen to my MP3 collection through the headset occasionally. Does anybody have any advice for me?

I am intending to buy a stereo headset at some time, to enhance my music listening experience, but I don't want to do so if I will just run into the same problem, so I'd like to get it working properly on the HBH-60 before I get the stereo bluetooth headset.

It sounds like it was the update then, they replaced the function of the button on the headset to start audio INPUT (you speaking) instead of OUTPUT (music etc..) Your best bet would probably be to consult the manufacturers forum and see if A) your headset is compatible and :) if there is now an alternate way to transfer the output to the headset.On my phone, an old nokia, i can do it either by pressing the headset button or, during a call, by going to my call options (which is where the hold, hang up, mute etc... options are) and switching it to the headset there.

Thanks for the reply, shadowx. I will also be checking out the manufacturer's website, but I was hoping that I might find somebody else here who uses a Sprint PPC6700 smartphone with an Ericsson headset who could tell me quickly from experience, as the manufacturer's website will most likely only discuss issues relating to their own technology. This is an issue relating to two different manufacturer's hardware, plus a firmware upgrade. That often creates a "gray area" where each manufacturer will point the finger at the other and say "ask them, it's their fault", and nothing gets resolved.

While looking into this, I see that there are newer firmware upgrades available now, including ALU 3.3 and a yet-to-be-released ALU 3.5, so I am hoping that one of those may even resolve this problem. I'll post back here with the outcome to this annoying little problem.

I have tried several different programs that are supposed to resolve this issue, and now I have been able to get a hack that flips a registry entry, enabling or disabling the new Voice Commands feature, and another hack that enables or disables Bluetooth audio. Unfortunately these two hacks together only provide a temporary solution to my problem. The music plays on the headset as I intended, but after a brief time it automatically reverts back to playing from the built-in tweety speaker of the smartphone device. Grrrr!

I have found out more information about the AKU3.3 upgrade and I am getting ready to do this. I note with interest the following comment that was left on the Geekzone entry about the AKU 3.3 upgrade....

Also note that the streaming music has been updated in AKU 3.3 - meaning you can immeadiately use wireless headphones for both music and phone calls.

So, I will download this AKU 3.3 and try it out. Thanks to jesseruu for the related post entitled Mobile Phone Operating Systems? which reminded me of this little project that I have running.