xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
burgen

New Picture Format

how do you feel when you want to find a picture out of >1000 pictures from your computer. well if you are organized enough you may have a specific name for every picĀ  and/or sort different pics in different directories, even so, when you have more than 200 pics in a folder, it is still pain in the *bottom* to find 1.

so we need a new picture format, one that like mp3. with any search tool you can search mp3 by tag informatin like author, album, et al because these information are in the mp3 file. now we need a picture format that can store additional information like place, time, people, camera, key word et al, so that these information can be indexed and searched like mp3 or pdf file.

41515[/snapback]

The problem with that idea is that WE are in control of the Camera - NOT the publishers ( as is the case with Music files ) and if we are too lazy to type in the name of the Place or who took it or whatever when we save the file ( which you can do in the file name ) then we certainly aren't going to do it when we take a photo on a limited text entry menu system on the Camera!!

Of course the date and time is saved when you take the pic - so you can search on that anyway ( date and time of the file saved )

Or maybe you just mean extra file info in the saved jpeg or whatever - in that case you just need a program that creates albums for you and that way you can organise them. Definitley you could have a default user for the camera stored in the camera , but if someone else uses it - then what . Would you remember - or even be bothered to switch users? and How do you see place info being recorded ?? And subject info ??

This is one of the best susgestions i've seen for a while for an OS type thing. Hopefuly someone in the great linux team will introduce it before BillG does. I am not a big image collector myself. I only have say 50 images, all names and in folders. It can still sometimes be a pain to find them though. I really like this idea. Its also the first time i've seen it.

Or maybe you just mean extra file info in the saved jpeg or whatever - in that case you just need a program that creates albums for you and that way you can organise them.

43465[/snapback]

That is what I meant, additional information in the file, like mp3 tag. it is part of the file and comes and goes with the file. when using a program to generate these information for pictures, you need the software to remember these informaiton and the information is NOT part of the file, when you move these files to antoher computer, the information is gone.