xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Worlds Fastest Computer Aka Roadrunner

I had gotten my latest issue of playstation magazine and happen to stumble across an interesting article about the worlds fastest computer and I have ot say that computer is fast. This computer can do a petaflop or to break it down in simpler terms it can do over a quadrillion calculations per second. Here is the kicker, hardware from the Playstation 3 system made this possible; includes 6,949 dual core AMD Opteron chips and 12,960 cell engines (heart of the PS3). As for cost I would say including $400 for a PS3 that this computer cost at least or over $10 million dollars just on those two pieces of hardwar by itself and odds are at least a few million more on the racks fans and everything else.

I can already feel the rush of PlayStation fanboys running away from this article mouthing the supposed superiority that the PS3 has over everything else in the known world. :P Amazing stuff. It's insane how they can fit so much processing power into a machine... but then again, I'm sure this supercomputer fills up the size of at the very least a typical server locker. What is this thing powering? The finite measurement of pi? :)

And to think that folding@home is running only about two and a half times the speed of the single super-computer =.=That is one super-fast super-computer.

Ahh.. I'd love to try some games with this computer and see how high ur FPS will be :)Anyways, why do they have this computer? for the NASA maybe? Im just wondering why and where...

Well from the article they will be testing nuclear weapon simulations and junk like that so basically instead of doing something practical with this power they are going to waste time and money on what kind of damage nuclear weapons will do.