xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gbjack

Rendering In Linux Rendering in Linux

I have read on magazines that a number of companies in the movie industry uses linux for rendering computer generated images. Is there a specific reasons for doing that? Is it due to cost or stability? I would like to see linux desktop as another alternative to Windows and Mac OS X. But software support from major vendors seems to develop very slowly. Linux programmers should make the OS as easy to use as a Mac to gain wide acceptance. Most users are not bothered to learn all the commands to get things done.Hope that 2005 will be a break through year for linux to gain more support from 3 party vendors.

I think it's most due to cost, durability, stability and flexibility. Linux expands with you. You don't have to expand yourself in order to use Linux.Yes, I also hope that it would be a big year for Linux. Also, Photoshop does work on Linux! :rolleyes:xboxrulz

A visit to the adobe website didn't says it support linux platform. Are you using it with an emulation software? Or do you mean linux's own image editor.?Until most basic host of apps were rewritten in Linux and further easy of use on it's GUI, I don't see it will caught on fire with the masses though I personally see great potential in this OS.3rd party support and vendors are very important. e.g if I buy a drive or mouse, I must be confident that it will have the driver optimised to run it the computer.

To add to my point, games must also ran on Linux... youngsters are the future. If they started on linux, the future may be there for linux. then the graphics dept, video dept..... these are where big bangs came. It has always amused Microsoft why designers swear by using a Mac... with that Mac is able to undergo it's worse times and came out stronger.

Photoshop work on linux with emulators. I more like GIMP that is originalu written for Lunux/GNU

IMHOLINUX is not yet a a "ready to use" system (it still has to be worked on heavily before its ready to use)it does not like a noob desktop useri hope it will change----i have to admit that my adventure with linux is quite goodi started enjoying a successful attemp to run a program :rolleyes:

It is alredy changed, and, of course, there is veru user-friendly linux distributions (SUSE, Mandrake), and desktop enviroments (KDE). But there are still some dificulty for people to get used to it, and many programs are still needed to run under emulation (eg. MM. Flash), but 90% of programs have their replacemant on this platform.Of course there is bad Hardware support, or should I say non hardware support. For now kernel devlopers writte their own drivers, but big hardware companies gave only drivers for WXXXX and in some cases for Mac. Only Nvidia graphics, Intel modems, ... have good suport.

On that note, I've been trying to install Photoshop CS with the latest release of WINE. I set the /.wine/config file to emulate WinXP, but I haven't been able to get past the installation process. Has anyone here had any degree of sucess in running Photoshop CS with WINE or any other emulator, and if so which?

Photoshop CS is not supported, but there are some users that have been installed it, as far as I know. Photoshop 7 is 100% supported in Cross Over Office, and I think it work with wine alsow.