xisto Community
cheapwebdesign

Finding Good Free Hosting Can Be Frustrating And Costly. Simple free hosting is anything but. It could cost you dearly.

I have a home. After several weeks of searching, reviewing, and posting I have solid, free, feature rich hosting. Thank God for Trap 17. The first question a reasonable person would ask is why bother? Just get paid hosting. Well I have paid hosting and it is not so different from free hosting. Same issues, same features. One big difference is when they go under your payment for services goes with them. I needed a good free host for my clients. I wanted to be able to say hey try this host with your new site from me and you can have great service at low or no cost. The big advantage is try before you buy. If a hosting provider can deliver good free hosting, chances are the paid is reliable as well. Another is no cost to get a site hosted at the start. Many of my clients are trying to start the online portion of a new business and money as well as time is short. Having a free host option is helpful to new site owners. On the flip side I can help a free host by bringing users who are going to go paid in the future.That is what started my decent into hosting hell. From the start It was apparent I was in for quite a ride. The first host I tried, my5gb.com, seemed good for oh about two hours. Then they were gone. Site down no place to go to get help. About a day later they came back. This went on for several days. Finally, they never came back. I saw a site with a similar name had just been started. Hmmm, I wonder what happend? Onward to the next free host. Hostsnake.com, Seemed good, had a good history. I got a day out of it. I re listed and redid my domains and yada yada yada again for nothing. They went under. Wow the day I posted my site was the last day they were to be around. Off to the search. I next went with Aok hosting. Again they were ranked high on many review sites had a good long history. I got three days. They went down a few days and came back screaming for donations or else. Well I am not sending money to a "free" host who is telling me they are just about done. They also put ads on the sites without warning. I left. I am not sure if they are still up but I doubt the new "$10.00 for lifetime hosting" deal has any takers. After all, how long is the life going to last at site that tells you were not making the server bill. That reminds me, some advice, beware of anything that is for life for a low fee in hosting. It mostly is a last grab for cash for a host who knows they have only a few days left. That should be illegal. That is one of the things you run into with paid hosting. You pay a one time or yearly fee and they go belly up with your money and your files a few short days after you paid.But the worst of them all is the lagoon sites, domainlagoon, gamelagoon, hostinglagoon. They should just be called goon. That is what you will feel like your dealing with. This operation asks you to review ad offers and take surveys free. You get points to use for a free domain and free hosting. Sounds fair right. Wrong. Turns out that they are doing some real bad stuff. Example, you take an offer to answer some questions about customer services. Seems simple. You get a few tenths of a point reward for your time. What your not told is that all the information you share in the form will be sold to mailing list and telemarketers. Not only that but you start getting billed for services you never heard of or agreed to. They hide behind the TOS of each survey. They insert outlandish terms in the survey terms like, by agreeing to answer these questions you accept membership in the ring tone club for 10.99 a month. On the page your taking a survey in the terms your getting crammed. Well fortunately this kind of TOS is illegal. You will win back your money and have the spam stopped but you will spend weeks trying to recover your cell phone, email, and money. This is sad. Most people looking for free service can't take a hit like this. The cell bills can get crazy with calls day and night and no way to stop them. It is my firm hope that this kind of criminal is rightly punished. What kind of person fleeces those already fleeced. I truly wonder, I really do, how can a person sleep at night knowing they are robbing thousands of poor people. You have to have some real bad mental issues. Well I feel all better now. I have trap 17. They do expect you to post but by the grace of God they do what they say they will. They are honest and tell it straight. In today's world that is gold as gold gets. They don't try to steal from you or treat you like another statistic in awstats. Your not up for resale here.I will post and post for this service. I don't have to worry about anything and I get to warn others of what goes on in free hosting. I also feel like I worked for my hosting. Its a good feeling.Happy Hosting

Thanks for sharing your views here.Agree with you that some paid hosting services can be a pain too, including (surprisingly) some large and well-established ones that have no time for individual attention (unless you are some well-off corporate client).Some even go on to say that they have 24/7 support and closed on Sundays :) What's the harm in saying 24/6 or 24/5?There are others that say 'Servers will be monitored 24 hrs' When you call up for support at night, the voicemail answers you :D