xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jopak134

Phone Gps its not as safe as you think

your phone imei, sim can be detected when your near a receiving station and such. i have a friend which works for a network have tried it with my phone and i was suprised how easy it was.that's why it's best to turn off your phone if your a fugitive :D or your running away from home :)

I don't think most phones have GPS in them, yes some do, but I believe most are traced using cellphone tower triangulation. Meaning it figures out the signal strength of each individual cell tower that it picks up, and calculates the known location of those cell towers to approximate where you are. It's not too precise but it can be done without having to have a GPS system in your phone.

i dont think all fones have a GPS in them cause then wouldnt than mean every phone could literally be converted to have a sat Nav program and it works but sadly I have an LG viewty and read somewhere that it donesnt have a GPS inbuilt which means even if I down loaded the software it might not work. But then how does earth google work on a fone cause it tells you your location when you start up dont it. I am not knowledgable on this just wondering aloud

Cellphones with GPS functionality are not really something new. It is what they are being used for that is new, and in some ways kind of scary. Take for instance the online, GPS-enabled friend tracking systems, such as mologogo. As they claim on their website, "Mologogo is a free service that will track you and your friends using GPS-enabled mobile phones." Welcome to the wonderful world of hi-tech stalking! The Forbes online magazine alerted their readers back in December 2006 about the new nefarious possibilities opening up with GPS-enabled cellphones, with an article entitled How To Stalk Your Family. Is anybody else worried about the risks that this poses?

Parents who want to keep tabs on their kids can give them phones from companies like Whereify Wireless. Whereify's pint-sized pink phone has just three buttons, so kids can call key numbers quickly. Parents can track the phone online and monitor incoming and outgoing calls. The phone will also send a text alert if the little bundle of joy violates curfew and goes beyond a set perimeter.

What happens when some enterprising pedophile works out how to reverse-engineer this system, so that they can tell exactly where your little bundle of joy is at any given time? Are we giving away too much personal information these days, even publishing our current presence on the Internet with services like mologogo, that could get us into serious trouble if it fell into the wrong hands? Personally, I think that revealing too much about yourself, even in a blog, can be dangerous to personal safety and security.