xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
miladinoski

About The Openmoko Freerunner what do I think about it, and what are you

OK, so the hardware is very attractive: GSM/GPRS, GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, USB (both ways),accelerometers, excellent screen resolution, a CPU powerful enough, all that in a phone-sizeddevice. Yummy.The software part is not ready for the masses yet, and clearly announced as such. There areat least three different software stacks (GTK-based Openmoko 2007.2, QT-based April/Augustsoftware update, and Freesmartphone.org framework-based); I think there's a fourth one(Qtopia-based), and people speak of an hypothetical fifth ("stable hybrid release"). And somehave installed Debian on it, too. I have only tried the OM2007.2 one, which mostly works forme as a phone+GPS (with a few manual tweaks). And the open hardware and software is reallylovely to work with: many things can be controlled through Dbus and/or Gconf, so you can writesmall Python scripts to, for instance, import/export your phone contacts to VCF, or tune thepower saving mode, or whatever. This should be even more so with the generalised move to theFSO stack.All in all, I'm quite pleased with it. It is, to me, the (current) ultimate toy for smuggeeks: rare, versatile, hackable, and (for the smug part) restricted to those elitist bastardswho can handle a command-line for upgrades.If anyone has one, please tell me what do you think about it (or what do you see in the vids and pics of it, if you don't have it)