xisto Community
williamm

The Operating System's Security

When it comes to security, which operating system would you think a business would get to keep everything safe. I know when i get my web design and hosting business going later in my life I will choose Unix OS. Any busisness or hosting company will choose Unix to base my security on. Most "Windows Users" will want to use Windows Server. I mean thats an ok OS to start out on but Unix is basically free and open source and has a better security than Windows does. When i get my own hosing server set up i will use Unix to base it.

Try a Linux Install which will co-habitate with Windows (if Windows is installed first) as a test server.Linux is similar to Unix, Open-source, Free to download/install and then add an XAMPP installation to mimic a live Server on your localhost machine as a trial for the Webhosting you plan on creating.Works great.

I would go for OpenBSD. It's know as one of the most secure systems on the world (if not the most secure).It's like only one vulnerability in 3 years running the default install settings.Have a look at it. OpenBSD tends to be easier to setup than linux, when serving is the business ;)

I would say you want a combination of unix, linux distro, windows would provide the best security along with firewalls for each system on top of the various network firewalls will help provide a very good level of security. Provided the users on those computer use proper passwords and do not do anything bad on the computer, your systems would be set.

I don't think anyone said anything about windows xp. I think what was said was Windows Server. Which i have seen to be a good security for some businesses. I mean really small ones, but if you have the chanve to download any kind of unix/linux then why not its free and its got better security than windows. For some reason unix came up with all to make security better than most. Unix which is backed by most companies would rather have that protrecting them than windows. I have found that using Unix as your router, you can protect better than using a reuglar router. For the reason that it has its own firewalls and you can use dhcp when you need to. Just put unix in a computer hook up to nic cards in there run you internet throught one of them and run another cat 5 through the other and hook it up to a hub. then branch off your network. When i worked at my old Web design web hosting company thats what they used for their router and you have more controls. Better conrol it than a regular router. of course you cant have a wireless point but when it comes to that ground wiring is better. Its more secure where wireless is left out ther floating.