xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
asglu

PHP Function To Add Previous and Next Page Feature useful php function

<?php function navigationbar($start_number = 0, $items_per_page = 50, $count) {   // Creates a navigation bar   $current_page = $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"];	if (($start_number < 0) || (! is_numeric($start_number))) {		$start_number = 0;	}	$navbar = "";	$prev_navbar = "";	$next_navbar = "";	if ($count > $items_per_page) {		$nav_count = 0;		$page_count  = 1;		$nav_passed = false;		while ($nav_count < $count) {			// Are we at the current page position?			if (($start_number <= $nav_count) && ($nav_passed != true)) {				$navbar .= "<b><a href=\"$current_page?start=$nav_count\"> [$page_count] </a></b>";				$nav_passed = true;				// Do we need a "prev" button?				if ($start_number != 0) {					$prevnumber = $nav_count - $items_per_page;					if ($prevnumber < 1) {						$prevnumber = 0;					}					$prev_navbar = "<a href=\"$current_page?start=$prevnumber\"> <<Prev - </a>";				}				$nextnumber = $items_per_page + $nav_count;				// Do we need a "next" button?				if ($nextnumber < $count) {					$next_navbar = "<a href=\" $current_page?start=$nextnumber\"> - Next>> </a><br>";				}			} else {				// Print normally.				$navbar .= "<a href=\"$current_page?start=$nav_count\"> [$page_count] </a>";			} 			$nav_count += $items_per_page;			$page_count++;		} 		$navbar = $prev_navbar . $navbar . $next_navbar;		return $navbar; 	}} ?>

I added comment to make you understand about this PHP function

It'll work better if you change it into a Class.

I'm learning PHP and would appreciate it if you explain what you are talking about here. Please be clear and help dummies. I'm sure there are a lot of guys like me out there who have heard about classes but would like to know how you do it in a case like this.

I'm learning PHP and would appreciate it if you explain what you are talking about here. Please be clear and help dummies. I'm sure there are a lot of guys like me out there who have heard about classes but would like to know how you do it in a case like this.

A class is basically a piece of code that can be stored as an object in memory. It can be very useful if you want to be able to store a variety of data in one variable, and you want to modify the data easily by running methods.

You can read up on Object Oriented programming in PHP here.