xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nyy26

Starting Pitching Market

Lets Take a look at some possible starting pitcher options for the Yankees. Obviously the two big names this summer are off the market, but lets look at who?s left.

Greg Maddux: He isn?t the best pitcher available but he is doing okay this year with a 3.90 ERA. I really think the Yankees should get him if he?ll wave his no-trade clause. He probably wont cost as much as other pitchers. He will also be great with helping out the Young kids. Darrell Rasner and Ian Kennedy are very similar pitchers to Maddux, and Maddux being one of the smartest pitchers in the game, could help them out a lot. Maddux also has experience pitching in big games down the stretch and in the post season.

Randy Wolf: He is having a mediocre season with a 4.66 ERA, but is only 4 years removed from 4 straight double digit win seasons. Wolf was a huge prospect before he was hit with injuries. He would be a decent lefty addition to the rotation. The Padre?s already said that they want prospects for their two players, if Wolf wont cost any of the big arms, the Yankees should make the deal.

A.J. Burnett: From what i gather, the Yankees wont go anywhere near this guy. He has great stuff, but have a huge contract, and is injury prone.

Ian Snell: Not having a great year, but is playing for a terrible team, and is only 26.

Aaron Laffey: Having a pretty good season, 5-5 with a 3.45 ERA. He has had some pretty impressive outings, and would be a great lefty addition if Cleveland decides to sell.

Bronson Arroyo: From 2004-2006 (3 seasons) he compiled 38 wins, and showed the ability to pitch in big games. This year he is doing pretty bad with a 5.97 ERA but he seems to pitch well in the spotlight. I wouldn?t touch him, but if he is the only option, he could be a cheap fix.

Jeff Francis: Nicknamed ?The Dragon Slayer? for his ability to beat great teams, it is not clear whether or not he is available. I think he?d be a great pickup even though he has a 5.67 ERA.

Felix Hernandez: I know this sounds crazy, but the Mariners said that ?no ones job is safe?, and when asked about Hernandez, they said ?no one?. Hernandez will be the one guy the Yankees will go crazy for (unless Cash is secretly planing to go to the M?s next season). The Yankees can give up the big prospects because Hernandez is a big prospect himself. As long as they don?t give up Joba or Hughes. This would be one of the greatest acquisitions the Yankees ever made.

Fransico Liriano: Although unlikely to be dealt, he has had a falling out with the Twins organization. If the Yankees can get him for a package cheaper than what the Mets paid for Santana, he would be a great option.

Daniel Cabrera: He has some control problems, but could be a cheap fix.

Homer Bailey: One of the best pitching prospects in the game, with a very low stock right now. The Yankees should scoop him up even him he wont pitch in the bigs this year.

I think its a little bit to say that Francisco Liriano and King Felix Hernandez are available. They have both already made huge impacts in the majors and are viewed as two of the future cornerstones of their prospective teams. Teams very rarely trade their young proven pitching talents like these. Lirianos stock is dirt cheap right now, and the Twins would never part with him at that value. They are doing anything they can to get him back in their rotation, such as trying to deal starter Livan Hernandez. They have neverwanted nor hinted at trading Liriano. As for Hernandez, the Mariners cant back down from their "no one is safe" comment and basically put one player on a pedastal. Theyre trying to send a message here, and would never part with King Felix at a time like this