xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lennyg.

Super Or Turbo which is better

for years since my birth i have always wondered what makes care tick about being 10yrs old i figured it out on my own by researching, growing older i learnt how to make the crappiest of cars look hot through what we call modification. then i found out hen i was 13 that cars have 2 types of forced... (ooh *BLEEP* i forgot the word) which is called turbo charge and super charge understanding how each worked i have there for pondered up till this day(i am now 19) which is better? is it turbo charge or super charge?well if i was as ignorant as donkey i would choose based on sound but then it would still be a difficult decision. that swashing sound u get when ur blow off valves sounds in the turbo kit omg sounds so beautiful. almost begins to turn me on. or that loving whistling sound u get from a super charger makes me feel yung again(lol hahaha)if i were to chose on the the amount of power they induce while driving and switching gears then i would be lost in the park, no make that the woods.if i were to choose between my favorite cars which uses them well then thats a whole different ball game seeing that i wouldn't get out of that forest that i would be lost in just trying to make a choice so i've decided to make a choice based on you guys and your thoughts so give a yungster some advice it would be very much apreciated.

The word you forgot was induction. Forced induction. These puppies push extra air in to the engine, letting more fuel to be burned and giving more power (not to mention the strain on the engine...). Which is better? This question is impossible to answer since it deppend on your taste. Now for others who might be interested in the post let's review:Turbo Chager: this gizmo uses the exaust air (the 'nice' and 'fresh' arome you get from the exaust pipe) to spin and pump the air. Exaust makes turbo charger to spin, and turbocharger makes air compressor pump in the air. Now the drawback of this one is that it is being moved by the exaust air, meaning there is a lag. Lag occurs when you switch gears, push accelerator then some time passes before the pressure in the exaust becomes high enough to overcome the spinning speed of the charger and give boost. There are some ways to reduce this. For example by using lighter parts in the turbine but this is a bit off-topic. Another drawback is that it gives little boost on low RPM, and gives good boost solely on high RPM.Super Charger: this thingy gives boost with the help of...the engine it self. Yes, supercharger is connected directly to the engine, meaning it starts working as soon as the engine does (opposite of turbo charger). You can connect it to crankshaft, by belt, by chain so different systems are possible depending on your taste or room under the hood. Now SP gives boost on lower RPM's so you would jump-start with this one, shifting gears like mad. Well at least 2 first gears, because then you go with the higher RPM's and that is where SP becomes more or less useless, as it gives little boost. Another dissadvantage of this thing is that it need the engine power to run. If you need to more power, you use extra fuel, so not only use use more because you gain a boost from the charger, you need to spend even more just because the charger is in motion. So this is the big disadvantage of Super Charger. Ofcourse in the end you do have much more HP, but you also have more fuel cosumption then with the Turbo charger. Summary: which is 'better' ,depends on your driving style. Maeby your car is good on low RPM' but not that quick on higher ones - use Turbo, or maeby it just can't jump-start like others, but feels great once you pass those first few gears - use Super. In my opinion, the best option is both! If you are ready for the fuel bills of course :lol:

Edited by Starchaser (see edit history)