xisto Community
Ajant

I Need Help With Setting Up My Site, Made Using Java any help would be appreciated

I just got web hosting approved and I want to host the site I created using Struts framework. I'm a complete newb when it comes to web hosting, so I need a little help. Is there a tutorial that covers this subject?I apologize in advance if this question was already answered, but I've been unable to find the answer anywhere.One thing I have to note is that I need to know absolute address of the uploaded files in order for my application to work. Is this even allowed?Any help with hosting of Java applications will be appreciated.

I just got web hosting approved and I want to host the site I created using Struts framework. I'm a complete newb when it comes to web hosting, so I need a little help. Is there a tutorial that covers this subject?
I apologize in advance if this question was already answered, but I've been unable to find the answer anywhere.

One thing I have to note is that I need to know absolute address of the uploaded files in order for my application to work. Is this even allowed?

Any help with hosting of Java applications will be appreciated.

Im also new to hosting, and dont have much knowledge in hosting. But I guess this website might help you on how to set it up.

One thing I have to note is that I need to know absolute address of the uploaded files in order for my application to work. Is this even allowed?

The absolute path to your hosting account is:

/home/<cpanel-username>/public_html (assuming you put your files in the public_html directory.

The absolute path to your hosting account is:

/home/<cpanel-username>/public_html (assuming you put your files in the public_html directory.

Just expanding on that, if you are using files which might be of a security risk, you CAN place them in the folder above /public_html/ which is your <cpanel-username>... That way, unless "someone" has direct access to your files either through secure FTP or your cPanel account, they cannot access it through "the web" even though what ever file you might be needing can "call" on it...

A good example of this would be if you were creating a script that needs access to a database... You might have a "config.php" which is no problem if you have it CHMOD'd to 644... But if a person has an "authenticated" FTP access then they will be able to access it... However (not 100% sure about this though), if you have a "secondary" or "backup" FTP that has been compromised they might not be able to go any higher than "/public_html/" meaning that "config.php" is still safe...

But if you're "root" account is compromised, there is no way to stop any file from being read unless you encrypt it using, I don't know... 256-bit AES with a 64 letter password... :)

Enough security talk... Anyway... If you're new to hosting, I would recommend you read the RULES if you already have... then... happy Xisto'ing...

Java is allowed... unlike many other free hosting services, Xisto gives every feature to you provided it does not compromise the security or speed of their dedicated Xisto server... You are able to upload file directly to your web root, you have access to change mime types, .htaccess files, SQL, unlimited e-mail accounts, the list goes on...

Xisto is truly an unbeatable service, stay out of the bad habits of spamming and breaking the rules of Xisto Board and hosting (i.e. no hosting large files), and you'll be fine (otherwise face the wrath of a proSilver edition Jacket'd Bertie! :D )

Also, you need to list more things you want to know... I could get, heck 20 or 30 credits if I went ranting on about every scenario a possible webmaster can face in his/her webmaster-time... But go on and try out the hosting, you'll eventually get the hang of using cPanel effectively... If you get stuck, all the *active* members of Xisto are here to help!

Edited by csp4.0 (see edit history)

thanx to everyone who took the time to respond.csp4.0 thanks for your answer, you were so thorough there are some things in your post that i have no idea what they are:)This is my main question: is it enough to upload the folder containing application(project folder) for the application to work or do i need to do anything else for the server to recognize it as Java application and treat it accordingly (display JSP and invoke business logic)?Once I finish my application and upload I will probably have more questions, but in the mean time I'd really appreciate answer to above question