xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sportslist

Euro 2008, It's Why The Nfl Will Never Be A Global Passion

June 2008 saw Spain take victory in the European Soccer Championships. Late 2007 saw the first regular season game from the NFL take place outside the american continent, as Miami played New York Giants as Wembley Stadium in London, England...The tickets for the NFL game sold out quickly, and the NFL was so impressed it immediately set up next year's regular season game, and Commissioner Roger Goodall said he wanted the NFL to be a global passion, played all over the world.That will never happen and here's why...The Euros 2008 had 4 groups of 4 teams, that's 16 countries.But let's nor forget, those countries came through 2 years of qualifying from over 40 countries! In each country, anyone can start a team and join their football association. There is nothing to stop them developing and going all the way to the top of their national game.This can never happen in the NFL. Quite apart from the US college system, the NFL is a business operated a franchise model. You can't just start a team, you have to buy a franchise! This ties you in to how the parent company chooses to run itself.It's why there will never be a World Cup in American football, and it doesn't help when the NFL calls the national champions World Champions! This is seen as jaw dropping arrogance, and is yet another reason why it won't be played globally.

Britain did brilliantly in the Euro 2008, we didn't qualify but it's the taking part that counts :D if oyu count not qualifying as taking part :)The real reason that there isnt an World cup is because you cant have a world cup in something that only 1 country and maybe a couple of others actually play. The other reason is that theres a rugby world cup which is like american football but better and more appropriately named so American football would not be appropriate, also most countries don't want american football because you end up with the jocks and cheerleaders and nerds senario and when anyone says "i'm a jock". I think, grow up and play a real sport and tbh when you use the word jock in a sentence you sound like an idiot.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

I agree. I think soccer will always be the worlds game, and will never appeal very much to most of the American people. In my opinion, the Euro cup is the greatest international sports spectacle in the world. More than the Tour de France, any international golf or tennis spectacle, MLB games being played in Japan, or even the Olympics, the Euro cup unites people. The passion displayed by Spain after winning Euro 2008, or even any country scoring any goal in any game, however insignificant it may be in the grand scheme of things, is unbelievable. This level of passion is something that no American sport has ever seen before. Every single player is playing for the sole purpose of national pride andnothing more than that. The passion goes beyond the field too, as the fans make the Cameron Crazies seem quiet. They are singing their national anthems at the top of their lungs to start the game and continue singing their homemade, creative hooligan songs for the duration of the game. I got chills every time a goal was scored, just by simply watching how much every player simply loves the game they are playing, and their determination to win it all for their country. It is an event unlike no other, and football is decades upon decades away from even thinking about having anything of the sort.

I kind of agree with you (sport list), the level of acceptance soccer enjoys cant be compared to that of of the NFL at all, no matter how they would want to push it.You need to fully understand the way soccer unites the whole world.In a typical arena you find fans from diverse backgrounds from different parts of the world,cheering on thier teams side by side, ralling round them.No other sport provide an atmosphere filled with such excitements.