xisto Community
jobel602

Introduction

Hello to everyone here at Xisto. My name is jobel602 - or John for short, and I live in Cornwall in the UK. I do have a website and I know everything about them except how to make them , how to host them or where I should begin; so,I ended up here. I spent ages trying to find somewhere where I could have a banner or script hosted without having to plough through hundreds of ads or have them cluttering up my site. I was amazed at the amount and variation of topics here at Xisto and I am sure that I have plenty of reading to do before I have the confidence to post on a regular basis. I am slightly computer literate and have an interest in many of the topics on this site so I can relate and contribute to various discussions. I have just read the sticky about introducing myself so I will add a bit more. As I have mentioned I live in Cornwall UK which is the bottom bit of the map of our country unless you are looking at it upside -down which then makes it at the top but then everywhere looks weird at that angle. I live in a semi urban area; lots of houses, lots of fields, lots of cows, lots of doing nothing. If I get into my car I can be at the seaside in 5 mins or in the middle of a field. As to my interests it is probably best if I just list them: Photography - I have my own darkroom and process black & white films myself and I have just interested in digital photography but don't find it as much fun as breathing in poisonous fumes - reading, walking when I am able, cooking, films and music of all descriptions and not forgetting my wife and 2 teenage monster daughters and my fat Rhodesian Ridgeback dog that pees everywhere because she has a bladder problem. Speaking of illnesses I have chronic arthritus of my spine and a whole host of other medical problems; I still don't know if I have got Housemaids Knee though. I run a small retail business in our local town of Redruth which is called The Emporium that sells all sorts of weird and wonderful things. We have new stock - stationery, cd's, dvd's, books, kitchenware etc and also I go to the auctions and buy boxes of house clearance items so I have developed an interest in antiques and have a few good stories to tell about that but our main income comes from local books and the furniture that is very cheap to buy but kills my back to shift.....moan,moan I really need help and guidance in creating my website as I think that it is the only thing that will keep our shop and our town alive in this digital age so I will be avidly reading all the tutorials. I want a website that is full of life and interest but I don't really have the skills or the energy and time to spend hours at a computer learning code; just a cheap happy fix will do me. I guess I have infringed the rules of the house about a dozen times by now so I had better say good - bye and I look forward to meeting you all

Edited by jobel602 (see edit history)

Mich in Michigan, USA says Hello John aka:jobel602 Posted Image and welcomes you to Trap 17. This is the best introduction I have read on here. I am the one who wrote the suggested guidelines for an intro; so a good one is really appreciated. ;)

I guess I won't have to remind you not to post a lot of one-liners, they are considered spam. It is not the number of posts you make, but the quality that earns you credits. You sound like a good addition to our comunity here at Trap 17. Knowledgeable people are always appreciated. If you do happen to need help, just ask. Someone will either answer you or point you to the answer. People here are very helpful and friendly. It is also good to see a fellow of the more mature persuasion like myself. Not a fellow, but more mature. :)

I am in a remote part of the state of Michigan in the Manistee National Forest. Things here are rather behind the rest of the country. I am on a telephone connection still. Just upgraded my puter to Windows XP, which I am told Microsoft will shortly no longer support since Vista came out. What operating system do you use in your country?

You seem to have a rather eclectic variety of merchandise in your business. I hope you do well at it. Yes building a web site will keep you up with the commercial trends these days. Internet sales seems to be where it is at.

You can use the links just above my sig to learn anything more you might need to know about Trap 17. See you around the boards. ;)

Oh, I am an amatuer photographer. Still learning about how to operate a digital camera. My usual camera is a 35mm Pentax. I have a friend in Port Angeles, Washington who just finished his dark room. Am anxious to see his setup.

Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Mich came before me (and gave you a lot of information) jobel602, so all I can and will do is to welcome you to Xisto. :) Hoping to see you around, and good luck!

Finally someone else who greet before bluebear :), anyway, welcome to Xisto a good place for some posting and getting some hosting. Like it was mention above, make sure to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and you will sure to get some quick hosting and get your website running.