xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spungypirate

N00b Programmer Need Tutorials

Hi, I am trying to learn C++ as I have been interested in mods and making games forever. I have been unsecsessful in my search for good tutorials, guide or any kind of documentation on how to learn the language and utilize it and program. any reccomendations or help would be very appreciated!Thanks!

Hi, I am trying to learn C++ as I have been interested in mods and making games forever. I have been unsecsessful in my search for good tutorials, guide or any kind of documentation on how to learn the language and utilize it and program. any reccomendations or help would be very appreciated!Thanks!

learn how to use directdraw and direct3d, you can visit my site at http://www.sorainnosia.com/ and there is a free 3d game engine for you to download. send message to me if you have any problems
c++ is good but i rather worry about its future in windows vista. since it will be strictly evaluate before it can run in vista..

try to learn .net is what i am suggesting

Have you read any books on it? There should be some at your local bookstore or local library to borrow and pick up the programming language.Check out those that start off at the lowest, novice level and gradually pick it up before going on to programming code reference books. C++ has a really steep learning curve, better that you possibly pick up Ruby or PHP as a basic programming language to understand how its done before progressing to learn C++.

Hi,I think the first thing that you should be familiar with is the algorithm. What is an algorithm? How to write one? And more important: How to write a good one? There are many good books out there to help you develop your skills in writing good algorithms. Secondly, if you want to program in C++ and create some games with it I think that's the wrong way to begin.To write a simple 1982 game with C++ text code you have to write hundreds of lines of code and finally you have something that was of course an attractive game two decades ago!So, I suggest you to focus on algorithms instead of coding by now. You can study how to code in C or C++ smoothly beside that and you even can use some gaming software -many of them available in free trial mode - to visualize a copy of what you imagine for your games.This way you will be familiar with the grammar of C++, its philosophy, different platforms, gaming software and at the top you will become familiar with the core of every attractive game - and program - that is: algorithm.If I get you correctly that you want to create games then you must develop your creativity too by writing short action stories or at least some story lines. Be your own scriptwriter dear friend.At the end I have to mention that you must be familiar with essential basics of computer graphics too.And do not forget that most of the time programming in languages like C++, needs a team. You can split the code into smaller entities and then share them with your interested friends and proceed.Good luck!CyrusX

hi, learning a programming language is not really tough, you just need to have interest in the language.....i know you are searching for a good tutorial, but tutorial is not going to teach you everything about programming in C++Tutorials can just teach you the language, a good one can teach you in a more organised way...OK fine, but using the language in the right way is something nobody can teach you, you have to learn that yourself...learn by doing things...people pick up a nice tutorial which claims to teach C++ in one month, and they start reading it, one chapter each day, and at the end of the month, they think they know the language....but they don't ...In programming you learn by doing things yourself...you can't learn swimming without jumping into water....So whatever you learn, try implementing it, and start making small programs, think how you can use things in programs.....cyrusX was right about writing algorithms....they are the most crucial part of programming......Just pick up a tutorial which covers everything, and start doing things....don't just read them...otherwise you will learn C++, but not how to program in it...

Edited by klusk (see edit history)

I did say start on picking up a game then learn game modding from there. Usually a person who knows game modding would know how to make games easily.Games like Unreal, Half Life series usually include SDKs which can help you on your learning process. But before all the dreams and big plans, like what other said, learn the basics of C++ and understand the in and outs of it.