xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ashrafulsheikh

Beautiful Software Software with great interfaces

I really like using software that have very good user interfaces. Most mac softwares are really good-looking (Adium, DeliciousLibrary) but most Windows applications are just plain ugly. I was wondering if you guys to point out some "beautiful" software. To start off I'll mention some.1. MediaMan (clone of DeliciousLibrary)2. ReadAir - Google Reader for your desktop (built on Adobe AIR)3. Snacker - Another AIR RSS Reader4. Kaspersky - The new 2009 version have a decent UI5. PowerArchiver - For opening zip/rar/7z files + many othersothers wud include Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Adobe CS3.

I have to agree that software with beautiful interfaces do look more credible and professional. If I see screenshots of 2 software with similar features I usually choose the one that looks more visually appealing.

I concur, if a software looks great i'm more likely to download it. If it is overly complicated for what it is though id much rather go for a worse looking piece of software.

That would depend, I would have imagined a piece of incredibly expensive piece of software like Autodesk's 3sd Max 2009 to have like a shiny GUI that looks good, but then when I actually looked at it, it looked like the Microsoft Office XP GUI (which is like running on a "Windows Old Theme"), but for that I can understand why... Better GUI equals more RAM usage... So that is the most likely reason why many software have bad GUI's..Personally, if I were to choose between any piece of software, I look at the screenshots, which ever one that looks better, I will probably most likely get that one... Without even reading the comparison...GUI IS a very important part of any software if any person wants it to market well because there are so many software that does the same thing...

I like a pretty interface as well, but most importantly, I like a usable interface. Many interfaces are poorly designed due to being thrown together at the last minute, with the thought being that the important part of the program lies in the technical function, not the way this is presented. A poorly designed interface, however, can lead to many of the program's features being unable to be used because users don't want to take the time to figure out an unintuitive design.