xisto Community
gbjack

Can I Fix A Computer With Only 1 Fan

Hi, can I fix a computer with only 1 small fan to reduce noise? My present one has got 3 fans and it's very noisy. With only 1 fan, will the cpu overheat? I don't live in cold weather, so i am a bit worried about that. What brands of fan will be good for this kind of config. I've seen people using a huge fan inside the case. does it cost a lot of noise?

It depends on what your three fans are. If all three are case fans then you could probably shift to one or two (probably one). It is usually a good idea to keep a cpu fan, though those are usually pretty quiet. It also depends on what kind of cpu you have. With a Pentium 2, the chip is bigger so cooling is more important, but Petium 2s usually have bigger cpu fans. Any other chip should be fine with only one fan unless you live in a very warm environment. A temperate climate will do fine with just one fan, most computers come with only one cpu fan. When shopping for a fan you should take a look at the decibal rating (dBA). Many fans are around 30 dBA, which is not very loud. Antec makes very good cheap fans like this one: http://ww2.emicrox.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t.
They also come in a variety of colors.

10:1 the noise is because of the CPU Heatsink fan.. I had an AMD (came from Fry's, now on my most hated list.) and it sounded like a holicopter from Vietnam. God, I thought it would scare enemy soldiers off. Anywho, you probably shouldn't replace the heatsink cpu fan unless you're 100% of what you're doing, and if it's compatible. If you're not over 99.999%, then have a professional look at it. You can damage important things.Edit: I forgot to mention, I believe Intel P4s are designed for roughly 50-70C and AMDs are designed for 70-100C. Don't quote me on that, though.

here is an idea, rewire the fans so they run off the 5V line. Then they'll be really quiet (providing they still run)I have all my case fans (the big ones) running off 5 instead of 12 and my comp is whisper quiet.don't touch the CPU fan though, messing with that will heat things up... quiet badly

Well, the information you provided in your post isn't too informative. For the noise, fans are very noisy. What to do???? First, you'll have to consider the applications youre going to run. If you're going to run cutting-edge games, keep your three fans. If you're only going to run Excel or Word or Microsoft Office, you'll only need one. Second, you'll need to consider your specs. Do your specifications need extra cooling? Or is your computer old generation?? Consider all these things, and then take action. CodeName_88 out :rolleyes:

I have all my case fans (the big ones) running off 5 instead of 12 and my comp is whisper quiet.

nice....is it really work???
some ps supplied DC(+-) two wire connectors for fans purpose only....

if there's not too much stuffs in ur casing, ya can avoid the fans...
if not, get ur fans close to VGA and harddisk...the most heat generate parts after CPU..
ya have to survive to change CPU fan, if the noise from that one..watch out for brand..ya will nvm regret...

:rolleyes:

for the case you only need air moving in and out so running the case fans slower still works and does not produce any audible noise. The new cases you get today are just overkill with 3,4,5 even 6 fans. Back 4-5 years ago a computer case meant that you got a power supply, something like 200W and maybe one fan.I don't advise people without experience to start chopping their fan connections though. You'll need experience wiring and soldering.