xisto Community
Carson

Backup Not Working [resolved]

I am trying to backup my files on my account(in preparation for the next server disaster), and I am unable to download it. In my CPanel I goto the back-up screen to generate a full backup. Once that's done and its ready to be downloaded, It only downloads to 13% or 50mb before stopping. With and without a download manager. It doesn't help that resume is not supported in download managers. I have too many files on my account to backup with an FTP client, that would take hours and hours.What can I do to get a backup of my account?

Edited by Carson (see edit history)

I am generating myself a backup now, and I will let you know how downloading it goes. That will help us establish whether its a problem with the server or with your ISP or something.

If you don't want to use an FTP client, have you tried using cPanel to just download a home drectory backup (rather than a full backup)? That will give you all of your files, but not include MySQL databases or email stuff (although you can download those separately).

Alternatively, try using Net2FTP. Log in to your FTP account, select all the folders and files, then hit the download button. That will let you download a ZIP archive of all your files. I've never used it for a full site backup though, so I'm not sure what sort of speed you will get out of it.

Thanks for your reply,I got a full backup before I checked this topic. I moved the backup file that was generated from the root folder to the public_html folder, so I was able to download it just by entering the address in my browser. It also had resume capabilities and went at a decent speed, so I've got all my files backed up now.

Just make sure you delete it from your hosting account - or at least take it out of the public directories. Rememer, if anyone downloads it they will have all of the code for your website, including configuration files, which can include passwords.