xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
StaticIp

Sonet Ring

SONET (Synchronous Optical Network) is a standard for multiplexing data. It is used primary for backbones composed of fiber optics.++++Ok explanation coming---- Say you have a ring (hence sonet ring) point A= point of data entry B= exit data from point A is split up and sent around both half's of the ring, so if one half was to get cut all the data would be routed to the other half and no data is lost ( unless the entry or exit point is disabled) VERY BAD! My Dad spent a month explaining this to me and I thought id share my headache with the rest of you. Ok your data is split up to both sides of the sonnet ring and if one side gets cut your going to be ok...!!!! IF YOU PAY FOR IT !!!! If you haven't paid for it, when the ring is cut and the data tries to go to the other side the server says HEY! password! and if you are not on the list your data does NOT go through and your circuit goes down... then the customers complain and say "You have us on a sonet ring why are we down?" then you say "you didn't pay for the other half" kinda funny how we have come to nickel and dime people now days. :D

Interesting post, i have read about it, but never imagined it would be available for end users, sounds so sweet. Anyway it is better to have the option to pay half the bill than to have you internet service revoked all at once! If it?s that annoying to be prompted all the time for a password could you just disconnect the cable you haven?t payed for, or configure your router not to use that gateway? You broadband access must be surreal, which ISP is that? do they sell you the router too? of which kind?