xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tricky77puzzle

Rate An Operating System! I need this info for my comic strip.

POLL  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a very irregular comic strip that I make, and I want my next strip to be in the spirit of XKCD's comic "f--- grapefruit", and rate operating systems instead.

I'm running a poll here, based on whether people think an operating system is better than Windows 2000 or not, which I'm going to use as a benchmark (sea-level point) for rating systems.

The rating system is on 3 axes, "usefulness", "reliability", and "security". Basically, for the poll, check which ones you think are more useful than Windows 2000 on the first poll, which ones are more reliable on the second poll, and which ones are more secure on the third poll. I'm setting the sea-level based on the number of poll entries divided by the number of options (which will always be 10).

So, for example, if 74 people vote and 3 of them choose Windows Vista, then I'll divide 3 by 7.4, take the base-(10-th root of 10) logarithm of that number, and rate it on my poll contrasted to my own opinion. If 0 people vote, I assume the number to be the reciprocal of the total vote count, so the rating never goes below -10.

Or, for another example, if 126 people vote and 94 of them choose Linux, then I'll divide 94 by 12.6, take the base-(10-th root of 10) logarithm of that, and rate it on the poll.

PLEASE VOTE! I will credit Xisto.com for it! (Actual text to be included: "Based on results from ## votes on Xisto.com")

(If you have any other comments, such as specific numerical ratings for any of the 2 dimensions, please include them in a post and I will incorporate them into the results.)

(To Mods: If this topic is inappropriate for anything in any way, please stick a "note" here. I read the rules another time over and couldn't find anything against them, and I don't see how this could be spam.)

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)