xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kudmus

Show Google Your Creativity They are appealling for help

Google is very creative with software but it seems the giant is running out of creative artistic talent. No wonder why there is nothing beautiful that ever came out of google. I stumble upon this blog and felt like sharing it with those guys who think they are very creative

Google recently changed their favicon that small icon that usually appears to the left of the address bar in your browser. Most popular websites have them, and can actually be an important part of a companys brand. In Googles case, they are really looking for a symbol that means Google, since they dont have one already.

The problem is that Google is having a hard time coming up with something they like. The new one they settled on isnt the final draft its just the one they ended up with after hundreds of tries. Personally, I would much rather see the original G than the new g.

Posted Image

[image from Google Blogoscoped]

Creating a favicon is difficult mostly because you have only 16 pixels by 16 pixels to work with. If you have any experience creating these miniature icons, and you want your work to be seen by billions of people per day, Google is accepting submissions on this page until June 20th

Those who are willing to help Google should CLICK HERE.

Don't you think google should do this with most of their stuff coz they seem to make too simple things. I have no problem with that but I know a lot of pple who do. The kind of people who will download and install tranformation packs just to make their XP look like Vista.

yeaaa ... u rite .. From many days i have seen tht Googles Favicon has changed .. >.. and it looks really bad .. i wanted to know .. tht how r these favicons created .. !! ` cud u plzz tell me .. coz i m really gud thinking of designs .. but don know how do i do it .. so its wud b great if u let me know how do i create a favicon .. infact if u jus tell me in which medium .or software its made .. i ll do it .. !! ..

i wanted to know .. tht how r these favicons created .. !! `

cud u plzz tell me .. coz i m really gud thinking of designs .. but don know how do i do it .. so its wud b great if u let me know how do i create a favicon ..

infact if u jus tell me in which medium .or software its made .. i ll do it .. !! ..

I dont know how other guys do it but I use any designing software esp. Macromedia Fireworks to make an image of any size. I usualy make them png and then export to .gif to maintain the transparency. I then launch AnytoIcon and convert my image to a 16x16 .ico image. You are done. To make it appear on your site you add the following code in the head section of your page code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="images/favicon.ico" />

Of cause u need to change the red part to suit your file name and path

Edited by kudmus (see edit history)

Why on earth did Google change it anyway? The old one was nice, simple, and well recognised. Not to mention that the new one lacks a border and has a gradient that can clash with the background. (Vista anyone?)Interestingly, Firefox 3's search bar still uses the old one. (Yay)