xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Spinach And Portobello Mushroom On A Sunflower Seed Bun With Sun-dried Tomato Healthy recipe

Here's a healthy vegetarian recipe for those who are tired of plain old veggies and salad!Serves 2Ingredients: 150g baby spinach leaves, 4 medium-sized Portobello mushrooms, 20g chopped onions, 40g ricotta cheese, 60g mayonnaise, 3 sliced sun-dried tomatoes, 2 sunflower seed buns, salt and pepperNote: If you do not like sunflower seed buns or are unable to get hold of them, a good alternative would be sesame bunsMethod:1. Wash and chop baby spinach leaves.2. Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds.3. Strain water and place the spinach in ice cold water to halt the cooking process, maintaining the color of the leaves.4. Gently squeeze the excess water from the spinach.5. Saute the chopped onion and spinach leaves in a pan, add in salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pan and allow to cool down.6. Mix the ricotta cheese and mayonnaise together until smooth and well-blended.7. Fold the ricotta-mayonnaise mix with the spinach leaves.8. Season the Portobello mushrooms with salt and pepper and olive oil. Bake in an oven for 10 minutes at 160 degrees celsius.9. Spread butter on the buns and toast in oven for 2 minutes.10. Spread spinach mixture on the bun and place the Portobella mushrooms on top, before garnishing with sliced sun-dried tomato.11. Place the sandwich on a plate with a side salad and serve. Enjoy!

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)

Here's a healthy vegetarian recipe for those who are tired of plain old veggies and salad!
Serves 2

Ingredients: 150g baby spinach leaves, 4 medium-sized Portobello mushrooms, 20g chopped onions, 40g ricotta cheese, 60g mayonnaise, 3 sliced sun-dried tomatoes, 2 sunflower seed buns, salt and pepper

Note: If you do not like sunflower seed buns or are unable to get hold of them, a good alternative would be sesame buns

Method:

1. Wash and chop baby spinach leaves.

2. Blanch the spinach leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds.

3. Strain water and place the spinach in ice cold water to halt the cooking process, maintaining the color of the leaves.

4. Gently squeeze the excess water from the spinach.

5. Saute the chopped onion and spinach leaves in a pan, add in salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pan and allow to cool down.

6. Mix the ricotta cheese and mayonnaise together until smooth and well-blended.

7. Fold the ricotta-mayonnaise mix with the spinach leaves.

8. Season the Portobello mushrooms with salt and pepper and olive oil. Bake in an oven for 10 minutes at 160 degrees celsius.

9. Spread butter on the buns and toast in oven for 2 minutes.

10. Spread spinach mixture on the bun and place the Portobella mushrooms on top, before garnishing with sliced sun-dried tomato.

11. Place the sandwich on a plate with a side salad and serve.

Enjoy!

Thanks, that sounds absolutely delicious for a sandwich and also a great dip or topping for fresh vegetables! Looks like I stumbled onto an area of the forums I'll really enjoy. Could talk food all day! Always looking for alternatives to burgers so I'll try your recipe soon. Reminds me of Tofu-Walnut Patties from the 2005 Eat Up Slim Down series. The contributor was Erica Losito, it follows below:

Prep time; 25 minutes; Cook time; 10 minutes. Ingredients: 1/2 pound firm tofu, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (about 2 slices), 1/4 whole wheat flour, 1 onion chopped, 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped, 1 1/2 teaspoons beef boullion powder, 1/4-1/2 garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 tsp dried savory or 1 tsp dried sage, 1/2 - 1 cup water. Note: I substtuted spices for a favorite Emeril blend to my taste.

Emeril's Essence Seasoning
From Emerils.com
Combine all thoroughly. Store in airtight container for up to 3 months. (I often double or triple the recipe since I use a lot)

2 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper (or white pepper)
1 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

1. With the back of a fork, finely crumble the tofu into a large bowl.
2. Add the oats, bread crumbs, whole wheat flour and mix gently.
3. Then add the onion, walnut, preferred seasoning and mix again.
4. Slowly add enough water so that you can shape the tofu mixture into six patties.
5. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and cook the patties over medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden.
6. Flip the patties and continue cooking until browned on the other side.

Note: This is also great baked. Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray, place patties on baking sheet and bake in 350 F oven for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes. You can also use mixture to substitute for meatballs. It freezes well!

Nutrition Info Per Serving (1 pattie) 170 calories, 7 g protein, 19 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 3 g fiber.
Diet Exchanges: 0 milk, 1/2 vegetable, 0 fruit, 1 bread, 1/2 meat, 1/2 fat; 1 carb choice.

Hope you try this one sometime!

Cheers,
SpaMimi

Thanks spamimi! That looks fabulous! I love tofu, I'll definitely try it out when I have time. Glad you enjoyed my recipe too.