xisto Community
jlhaslip

Osx Hard Disk Drive Recovery

Anybody know of any software that will allow me to mount an OS X 10.4 disk under Windows so I can recover some or all of his data?

If you get a Linux LiveCD and install HFS+ support (if not already installed) and you know the location of the device from the Linux environment, you can manually mount the hard drive and take whatever you need from it:

CONSOLE
# mkdir /mnt/mac# mount -t hfsplus /dev/sda1 /mnt/mac
Note: "#" signifies a terminal prompt. "/dev/sda1" is the what-would-be path to the hard drive; replace with the actual path.Second note: be sure to copy any files to another hard drive and not into the LiveCD environment.

MacDrive I believe. It's not free though, but I think it's a 30-day trail??

Thanks for the suggestions but I should have told Jimbo that it is a (mostly) dead OS X 10.4 HD. The Mac machine will not see it at all, and Windows XP will see it, but as an uninitiated disk.

MacDrive sees it as a unrecoverable / damaged file structure disk ... the repair option does not work as it does not see a Mac Volume. It gives the option to reformat but that is not what I want to do.

Any suggestions on industrial strength data recovery? My nephew has most of his Master's research on this puppy and isn't really in a position to send it to a recovery service for $2500

Tanks in advance

Thanks for the suggestions but I should have told Jimbo that it is a (mostly) dead OS X 10.4 HD. The Mac machine will not see it at all, and Windows XP will see it, but as an uninitiated disk.
MacDrive sees it as a unrecoverable / damaged file structure disk ... the repair option does not work as it does not see a Mac Volume. It gives the option to reformat but that is not what I want to do.

Any suggestions on industrial strength data recovery? My nephew has most of his Master's research on this puppy and isn't really in a position to send it to a recovery service for $2500

Tanks in advance

So okay Jim claims that the missing posts I saw were not removed so all I can say is ... Thank you unknown benefactor !!!

Your links to the Mac Data Recovery software site did the trick .... exactly what I wanted; a solution that allowed data recovery off of a Mac disk onto a Windows machine .... worked quite nicely ... 99% recovery

Since the links (other solutions were also posted but since I only followed up on one I can't post'em),

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/