xisto Community
mikeyboy63

Freelance Coders For Hire Forum Or Subforum

I'd like to suggest a freelance coders forum or subforum under Internet. I know a few popular sites where people go to hire programmers, web designers, etc. I don't like the open bidding system, though, where coders are bidding down their price so low that they're not going to make any money for their efforts. Maybe the forum should have a 'minimum wage', flat rates or payscale that members agree to follow. Maybe we can all contribute to the structure so that it's a great deal for web designers who could use some help on a project and for designers who will do the work. Usually it would be designers hiring another designer with a certain specialty.Yesterday I had a conversation with a PC repair guy who was doing some work on a company's system. The company owner asked the PC guy about a web solution to a problem he was having with his salesman. He wanted an Excel spreadsheet on his Yahoo-hosted website where his salesmen could log in and edit the spreadsheet showing what customers they talked to today, etc. Obviously, the spreadsheet idea wasn't going to work. I told the PC guy that this was going to involve a database of some sort, probably an intranet with remote access for the salesmen, etc. I also told him that I wasn't qualified to advise him, but it would have been nice to throw the idea around a forum and possibly work with somebody who had a good idea. Just an example of how we sometimes get inquiries that are not our specialty, but we could outsource to each other.Just my two cents.

Well why don't you make it, armed with free hosting in hand, make a forum and then when you are done send us the link :D then you can ask opaQue to link to it etc like he did for the gaming forum with 7gears, I don't know if he would, if you believe something go for it

Its a good idea in theory but there are several problems the major one being if a customer or designer get short changed on the price and the services. That can get pretty ugly and I don't think xisto or it staff have the time to figure out why a person got short changed on services or stuff like that. Of course, the next problem would be setting up all the scripts to incorporate in this forum in order to work properly and that will take even longer to code and debug, and on top of that the spamming that would happen as everyone would be posting about their services all over the place.Personally to me those kind of sites are not all cracked up what people claim to be, but like the person mentioned above design something with all the scripts that would be needed to set up something like that, and then find a way to incorporate them in a forum.

I think it's a pretty terrible idea not to let people adjust the price to insure they get a job. If the pay is too low for the programmers work then they shouldn't be stupid enough to take the job. You wouldn't go to best buy and purchase a 5000 dollar TV when it's at circuit city for only 4000 just because you don't like the undercutting that circuit city has, would you?As far as a sub forum for hiring free lancers go, it'd be nice, but I'd probably still go to a site like freelancer.com when I needed something done.

Edited by Aethix (see edit history)