xisto Community
byrdhouse

Phobias What are you afraid of?

I'm kind of curious to see who out there has any legitimate phobias or fears. As for myself I'm afraid of heights. However, I challenge myself and go to high places anyway (ie: roofs, The Arch in St. Louis awhile ago, climb tall ladders, etc.) I think it is really healthy to face your fears and not be limited by them. So, are you going to give your opinion...or are you too scared ? :rolleyes:

Hauntingly Yours,

Stephen King :)

im also afraid of height .. and i think that it's kinda serious too .. because i still remember when i still was a kid .. just looking at the sky would make me scare ... i dunno why is this so ... even when i looked up at the bottom of a tall building i had this kinda feelings too .. :) but im trying hard to overcome this :rolleyes:im also afraid of needles too :) i'll freak out when doctors wanna gimme an injection

This is a really weird one, and I don't know what the technical term is for this, but I am afraid of eyes. It used to be very bad but I am getting over it. Two things that helped me were reading the 4th Harry Potter book- the one with "Mad Eye Moody" (I'll see if I'm still okay after I have to watch the movie!) and watching "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" - I just couldn't look away from Johnny Depp. :rolleyes:

This is a really weird one, and I don't know what the technical term is for this, but I am afraid of eyes.  It used to be very bad but I am getting over it.  Two things that helped me were reading the 4th Harry Potter book- the one with "Mad Eye Moody" (I'll see if I'm still okay after I have to watch the movie!) and watching "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" - I just couldn't look away from Johnny Depp. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is very interesting, I've never heard that one before.

Your description reminded me of a story about a guy who was afraid of flying, wouldn't even get near a plane. Well, his therapist took him through various stages to overcome his fear. First, the therapist would have him just go to the airport. Then later would get him to stand at the terminal where a plane was going to take off. Then the therapist would have him sit on the plane all the way to the point of having him take a flight on the airplane. Apparently this took quite a long time, but the point in this is the approach. Fears are probably best handled when taken in stages rather than having an incident forced on you...it's too traumatic. To relate to your situation, it sounds like your taking it in stages and possibly understanding that no harm is going to come to you.

Well, I hope that you conquer your "eye" phobia...I'm sure it would make Johnny feel a whole lot better.

Here's looking at you, kid,

Betty Davis :rolleyes:

Hey..I used to have history-phobia when I did my A-level. I just didn't understand anything in class or in books. But ,luckily,I eventually got throough it, i think. As for life, I'm afraid of anything that flaps....birds, butterflies,hens and etc.(although I love eating chicken wings!) :rolleyes:Also I think I'm scared of height!

Hey..I used to have history-phobia when I did my A-level. I just didn't understand anything in class or in books. But ,luckily,I eventually got throough it, i think.

As for life, I'm afraid of anything that flaps....birds, butterflies,hens and etc.

(although I love eating chicken wings!) :)

Also I think I'm scared of height!

41221[/snapback]

Anything that flaps, huh?...never heard of that one. Yeah, I was the same way with Algebra :D , but I attribute it to the teacher who was like Hitler in cramming all that nonsense in our brains as fast as she could (wanted to get through two HUGE textbooks in a year) I would have failed and would still be paranoid about it if I didn't have extra tutoring. I believe it was a mental thing because I tended to not do well with subjects I didn't like. What also helped was that when I went to college and had to take Algebra over again :rolleyes: I said to myself I'm not going to stress and I'm actually going to try to like it. I ended up with an "A" in the course...go figure. So, I guess this goes to show that you can overcome your fears by facing them head on.

BOOOOOOOO.... :)

I guess I only have one big phobia, which may sound silly to you but it's just not funny for me. I have like this fear of insects/bugs etc though... if I see one in the house, especially a big one like a spider or beetle etc it takes me like an hour to follow it around until I can build up the courage and figure out how to get rid of the bug! The other night my brother told me a cockcroach came into my room while I was out, so I did a whole search of my room looking under everything and moving everything around until I found it or until I was certain there was no sign of it and that it had probably left my room! So yeah, bugs/insects freak me out... I actually don't mind as much just as long as it's NOT in my bedroom, because I always end up thinking "omg what if it crawls into my bed" or "omg what if I step on it" or "omg what if it crawls on me" :P

HiI am afraid of heights also and have had a few bad experiences. I am from France and used to live near Paris. At school we went on a field trip to Notre Dame cathedral, what a beautiful place.Well they took us to the roof and there were areas that had no railings so you could have jumped easily. When I saw that I said loud something like "I ain't going near the edge" and of course some of the studends picked up on that and started trying to make me go there like it was funny. They had no idea how scared I was, so I just took off and went right back inside the cathedral. My main lesson on this one was not to say what scared you when surrounded by buddies, young males or the likes.I got scared another time when I was with my girlfriend who would become my wife and we were at a fair.She wanted to go at the faris wheel and I wasn't too hot but figured what the heck.She knew I didn't like heights.Well we were with another couple and we got stuck on the top for like 15 minutes, don't know what went wrong, they had a technical problem.There was a ring that you could turn to make the car spin and the other guy with us did it for like straight 5 minutes.Having learned my lesson at Notre Dame I played like cool that wasn't scared and thought it was funny and he quickly stopped.I haven't done that ride ever since in fairs.I ain't afraid of spiders, snakes and crowds and have been with several people which I saw freak out upon seeing a spider or stuff like that.Patrick

I am scared of bridges. I no the reason i am its b cos when i was about 3 or 4 i was going across this bridge when it started to fall to pieces so now when ever i go near a bridge im really scared and either force myself to cross it or take a long way round lolI am also afraid of undergrounds basicly for the same reason as bridges. Reason is a bit different but isted of crumbling beneath me i think there gunna cave in on me so i run through them to get out asap.

I have a very strange one...I think I have a legitimate fear of dental appointments. No joke. I get physically sick to the stomach every time I'm in there. It seems disgraceful, but it's the truth...I don't like sharp objects and weird tasting substances making their way in and out of my mouth. The last time I went I came out bleeding profusely...What a way to help tame my fear!I had to sacrifice a lot of integrity to make this post. :D

Im afraid of drowning, so I learned how to swim. Im mildly afraid of spiders so its my goal to go to a pet store and get them to put a tarntula on my hand....omg ewwwwwwwwwww lol. Buried alive...just creepy. But after watching Kill Bill II I think Ill take in some martials arts :D I also sleep with a nite light on heehee...

i don't know what i'm really afraid of. Maybe its needles because i have a fear of being stabbed or whatever with a needle and rubbing my hands on wood. I'm scared a splinter might go into my skin. its all childhood memories. lol.

Well, um, I'm sorry my phobia's not wierd or anything, but I'm deathly afraid of being stabbed or cut with a knife. I've always been scared of itm but then I was with my boyfriend in Boston a few years ago, walking to meet up with his friends, and these guys started giving us *BLEEP*. My guy said, "It's ok, i know these guys--they're all talk. Besides, I'll take care of you." He's tough. Then the guys got out of control and I got stabbed in the leg--guy's aim was awful. They were put in jail, minus a few fingers and one eye, thanks to my boyfriend... He cares too much. Either way, stabbing and cutting on anyone's body is ferkin' scary.

okay -- dont laugh..Im affraid of feet. Im serious.. I hate it when feet get near me. I dont like to be touched by feet. Like.. Someone stepping on my foot. Completely freaks and grosses me out..I realize this is weird.. But hey... Im serious!Amby