xisto Community
dexter

Violence A Result Of Games?

This is old news, but when I was searching about deaths caused from overplaying of computer games, I got thinking about the blame that's beginning to be put upon the makers of games for other people's behaviour...Now, I understand that its violent, but so are books and movies... so why is everyone kicking up such a fuss about games...?Question is, is it just me... or I am the only one that doesn't get homocidal after playing GTA...? (except for that urge I get to jump on turtles and throw them at other people, crawl down pipes and throw fireballs, oh, and fly around with a raccoon suit...) And is it fair to blame the makers for other people's actions...?There's always been psychotic people who've tried to blame other things for actions... why are computer games becoming a real way out...?That said, I've started to have to think about which side of the road I have to drive on after playing GTA... :rolleyes: (we drive on the left in Australia)

Oh.. From now on i will start playing games like tennis, Soccer, ping pong etc.. which dont involve voilence. :rolleyes:

Unfortunatly, games are being seen as an easy target to lay blame on for some a-ho's act of idiocity. I've been playing violent games(and non-violent ones too) for more than 13 years, I've never once wanted to drive a car around the streets with a AK-47 and just shoot anyone who passes by, or take a baseball bat and beat the brains out of a prostitue. It's just some way of finding something to blame, instead of the mong who did the deed!

I guess that games are more realistic than books, or more 'involving' than movies maybe. I always remember my nephew telling me ( he never had the inclination to do this before ) after playing Grand Theft Auto on his playstation almost non-stop for a coupla days he came out of his apartment and a guy got out of his car to post a letter, and left the keys in and the first thought that flashed through his mind was to jump in to the car and drive off! He didn't of course - but the thought was there - and I don't think he got that kind of re-action from a movie.

I don't think games necessarily result in people becoming more violent. Playing violent games I guess may play a part, but there would be other things too that contribute to violent behavior in people. I guess it depends... it may have different effects on different people. Some people may get addicted and start looking for other ways to get more excitement and some people may have played for years but they just treat it for what it is... just a game. But then again, most people these days may just be looking for something/someone to blame as an easy way out.

yup. some kids just play it for fun and stuff, but some of my friends always talk about how "nukes are so cool" and about "how cool iraqies dying is." They're kind of scary. In the same day they talk about the new game "where you get to blow up everyone" and shoot people, so they may be connected. dun dunnn dunnn.

hmm .. i think there might be a correlation between violence and games. Some people just play too much violence games like GTA (although i like it too) .. they can't seperate what is the real world and the virtual gaming world ..

I have three reasons why I think that people try too blame gamemakers fopr violence. One It is an easy thing to do. Two that other businesses want profits. And three people can't control themselves. My first reason for this is the fact that it is easy to blame careless actions of others on other people. That is the way about everything just about now-adays. I think that if they think that the game developer is the problem then why do the consumers conplaining still buy this product. It is hypocritical to do that. Another reason that I think that game developers are blamed is because businesses are very greedy most of the time. People usually are always looking for more money. So when they are blaming the game industry for violence they are trying to get the people to not buy that product and get the consumer to buy their product instead. Sure this may work for most but I think that you are not going to get much more of a profit off of a lot of lies. My last reason and the major one is that people can nt control themselves. A person that goes out and does a criminal act has little or no self-control. I mean some of these people do not even a console or have not played one and you want to blame the maker of a game for an action that a man or woman made when they have not everr played a game like that. I think the fact is that the way people are getting easier ways to do a kind of criminal act so they do that. I do not think that it is much the fact that game makers are the real reason for this. They are just making something to blow off time. In conclusion I think that game makers should stop being blamed for poor decisions of other people. If someone does a criminal act I think that they should find out why they did what they did and not take the easy way out by blaming the makers of games. Society needs to grow up in a lot of ways. But I do not see that happenning any time soon. But I think that we are trying to make process.

i think it affects in some way, tahts why minors should have parental guidance whenever they watch or play games. i think when parents let their children realize whats right or wrong, then violence would be lessen. its not only games but their environment as well. if the children are being cared and taught well, and has a healthy environment, violence will be lessen.

Yes. I agree. Kids shouldn't be allowed to play games like these. There are many incidents where kids have killed each other in some form of enactment as in the game. A guy was lured and killed in a park by a kid by beating him to death using a baseball bat. Inspired from Manhunt. It is very bad.

This whole violence as a result of is an excuse of teens being violent these days... they need something or someone to blame so they are blaming the gaming industry. Before it was the media for making films that were violent but now days its the games. i guess to a certain extent it does have some affect i guess but you cant blame the whole thing on games, there are probably other factors their life style and so on... i mean i have played many violent games; mahunt, GTA, mortal combat, unreal tournament... i mean there are so many its hard to count. yet i havent gone out and killed anyone... in my point of view i would have to say it depends on the person themselves.

It's because the society is like that I guess. You are right. It also depends on the person but the games are to be blamed partially. Actually the whole society is responsible to some extent. But parents should do their duty.

Blaming abnormal behavior on video games is absurd, and that is just an easy excuse. I am sure that video games can influence some people like everything else. Everything we see, feel or do have some influence on us.Video games have influence on me!!! But that influence is, not to do all those things. When I play need for speed and don't have a need to go and drive a car 200 mph in the real life because I already did that in the game so I don't have to do it again, or shoot a gun, or blow up a building...After all, your actions are you responsibility!!!!