xisto Community
Keyboard

Windows Xp Removed

I read yesterday that Microsoft will remove Windows XP from store shelves in June 2008, and, will discontinue support for older versions all together. I like Xp over Vista , I tested both myself, Vista uses too many resources, I even have 4 Gig of RAM and I could tell it was still "Laggy and slow" compared to XP or 2000 for that matters. What is your opinion? This website keeps up on technology news ... http://www.dslreports.com/

Edited by Keyboard (see edit history)

Support for Windows XP without a service pack (RTM) ended on September 30, 2004[43]and support for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 1a ended on October 10, 2006.[44][45]
Mainstream support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 will end on April 14, 2009, four years after its general availability.[46] As per Microsoft's posted timetable, the company will stop general licensing of Windows XP to OEMs and terminate retail sales of the operating system on June 30, 2008, 17 months after the release of Windows Vista.[47][48] However, an exception was announced on April 3, 2008, for OEMs installing to subnotebooks or UMPCs either until June 30, 2010, or one year after the availability of the next client version of Windows, code-named Windows 7 — whichever date comes later.[49][50][51]

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP will begin its "Extended Support" period that will last for 5 years until April 8, 2014.[52]

I think they might but they won't discontinue support with OEMs.The support with older versions ended long ago.I use XP cause it will run my laptop lol. Vista isn't that bad. Infact, it seems faster with new technology.

Woot! My 100th post ^_^
Edited by the need for speed (see edit history)

Vista's new Service Pack has improved the speed of the OS quite drastically according to my friend. "I can feel the boost already".But yes, I agree that XP is alot better than Vista, especially when the two OS's got realised, and people had bought XP alot more than Vista. Heck, theres even sites about how bad Vista is (with Microsoft's "spyware" kind of software, I forgot what it was though).Personally I'm going to stick to XP until they fix some of the Vista problems and performance...

I remember when XP first came out. People all complaining it didn't work with their favorite applications. Just wait a while till Vienna comes out...XP will be forgotten. I just hope Vista doesn't stick for long or we will start getting attached to it and a migration to 7 will be a SOG lol.

I've never really decided which one I prefer - they're both decent operating systems despite the amount of bad press they get. Windows XP seems more friendly, and I think that's probably because we're all used to it. I think there was a a webcomic that compared Windows XP to a soft sofa and Windows Vista to a metal chair with sharp spikes protruding from the seat. ^_^ Speaking in terms of performance, I've never had any performance issues with Vista - this is coming from a computer with 1GB RAM - although the computer came with Vista pre-installed.One real pain is that Vista has really bad compatibility with older hardware - I had a hard time with my Wacom Graphics Tablet - although the companies are catching up, which I found out with the device I question - Wacom released drivers for Vista shortly after Vista was released.

I remember when XP first came out. People all complaining it didn't work with their favorite applications. Just wait a while till Vienna comes out...XP will be forgotten. I just hope Vista doesn't stick for long or we will start getting attached to it and a migration to 7 will be a SOG lol.

Rofl yeah those things always happens eh. Give the new OS some time and wait for Microsoft to patch some problems up etc and it might be better...

And then you have those groups who are dedicated to one OS only, some programming companies are like "Omg let's make this Vista only!" and that might influence some people into buying Vista.

I was at my friend's house a few days ago, and I was deleting some files...:

"Do you want to delete this file ___?"
"Are you sure?"
"You need to be an administrator to do this"

I mean honestly... aren't OS's MEANT to be easy to use?

I've never really decided which one I prefer - they're both decent operating systems despite the amount of bad press they get. Windows XP seems more friendly, and I think that's probably because we're all used to it. I think there was a a webcomic that compared Windows XP to a soft sofa and Windows Vista to a metal chair with sharp spikes protruding from the seat. :D

Speaking in terms of performance, I've never had any performance issues with Vista - this is coming from a computer with 1GB RAM - although the computer came with Vista pre-installed.

One real pain is that Vista has really bad compatibility with older hardware - I had a hard time with my Wacom Graphics Tablet - although the companies are catching up, which I found out with the device I question - Wacom released drivers for Vista shortly after Vista was released.

They are both great, it will just take some time for us to get use to it(even thought it has been released in 2006 :P) I guess, the metal chair was also glassy B) Slowly those spikes will go away and the other chair will be left in space lol

Yeah, Some uses are complaining with performance issues with their computers. I think they are running aero and have a bad GPU.I have played around with a laptop with 1GB of ram on Vista and it seemed "good enough" for me ^_^

Yeah, but new hardware has to take its place and this will always happen. My card is not supported by Vista for aero so I'll just stick to XP.This will always happen...

Rofl yeah those things always happens eh. Give the new OS some time and wait for Microsoft to patch some problems up etc and it might be better...

And then you have those groups who are dedicated to one OS only, some programming companies are like "Omg let's make this Vista only!" and that might influence some people into buying Vista.

I was at my friend's house a few days ago, and I was deleting some files...:

"Do you want to delete this file ___?"

"Are you sure?"

"You need to be an administrator to do this"

I mean honestly... aren't OS's MEANT to be easy to use?

Many companies do that. You know why? The companies pay them to do so and boy do they get a lot :P. But patches will always prevail.What file were you trying to delete? Tsk,tsk,tsk...Trying to deleted a file on your friends computer :D. But that is a little crazy and will not help in security one bit...
Edited by the need for speed (see edit history)

Well Vista is great on my laptop no problems except it dont play alot of games so i have both a laptop with windows vista where i do all my graphics and XP for the gaming thing.

Well its true that Vista uses a lot of resources, but I heard they made something, some program that can be used to disable those resources(I will look further into this) but anyways I think vista is best used for Gamers...Business people and coders shouldn't use it.

i will always be an xp fan but i can see the time for change coming more and more software is gearing towards vista now and its getting harder and harder to buy a laptop with an xp license! and when they come with vista on the machine 9 times out of ten you cant get xp drivers for the machine! i do think it unfair how microsoft are pretty much forcing this change on us and really giving xp users no place to hide slowly but surely!

XP is really reliable, and I think the only reason they are taking it off the shelves is to force consumers to purchase Vista. People are happy with XP and don't need to upgrade to Vista, resulting in poor Vista sales. Microsoft, being a business, wants money, and this is there way of making sure the money keeps rolling in. It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft releases an enhanced version of Vista within the next coming years.

Microsoft will remove Windows XP from the shelves. You can bet about it.Remember that for them users are just people that give them good money in exchange for the right of using their poor products. That's it. Users do not own anything related to Windows, not even their own legally purchased copy. They only get a license of usage, which is very far from a title of ownership.So, Microsoft holds all rights and powers to do whatever they want with their products. They have already decided that Windows XP must die, and they can kill it the moment they wish.And also remember that they have invested a lot of money in the development of their Vista thing. Of course, they want to start getting it back as soon as possible. If Windows XP si still around, many people will stick to it. Which is something that Billy's firm does not want to happen.Get used to the idea. Windows XP is going to be killed by its own creator.Best regards,-L.