xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
asglu

About Baldness some reasons for baldness

Baldness is a degrading condition for millions of men and women, and can lead to psychological problems and feelings of self worthlessness. While millions of people look at the negative side of baldness, there are also millions of hair loss sufferers who see it as just another fact of life.
Science has uncovered a lot of baldness information in recent years, and treatments are becoming more effective. And like so many other medical and personal health ailments, if you act on the problem at the start, you've got a better chance of minimizing the affects, or in some cases, even reversing the condition.

Now it should be said that there is not a magic pill for curing balding (yet) and there is no one single therapy that works for everyone. As a fact, in the majority of cases a combination of a few anti- hair loss products will gain better results than any one specific product or method. Everyone is different, and because there are so many causes of baldness, the treatment will always need to be tailored to the individual.

That carries us to the question at hand, whether or not stress can cause baldness? You see, stress is so routinely referred to as the major cause of hair loss, that many people believe this to be accurate. The fact is that stress is a cause of hair loss, so you can blame your job or your sporting team if it makes you feel better, but it is not the major cause. Often stress can be contributing factor, but there is one major cause of baldness that precedes all others.

Balding can be caused by many factors, with more than 50% of males experiencing some form of balding or thinning by middle age. Women also suffer from hair loss, and around 35-40% of women will suffer some type of baldness or thinning by age 60. The most common cause of hair loss is Pattern Baldness. Pattern hair loss alone affects more than 40% of the male population. Pattern hair loss is easy to explain - it is a genetic disposition - it eventuates naturally.

A genetic predisposition will mean that most men and women will experience Pattern Baldness. The cause of Pattern baldness is very intricate, but in laymans terms, it occurs when testosterone interacts with a specific enzyme and is converted into what is know as dihydrotestosterone (aka DHT). DHT has a negative affect on the hair follicles - it is the catalytic agent for slowing down hair production and produces weaker, shorter hair - and eventually stops hair from growth altogether.

The way men and women experience Pattern Baldness is very different. Men tend to endure thinning hair in certain sections or patches of the scalp and that's why most instances in men result in the 'monk' effect, i.e. baldness on top, with hair still growing at the sides and back. Women tend to lose hair uniformly across the scalp, so instead of having a visibly bald patch, a woman can actually lose more hair than a man, but still appear to have a full head of hair.

There are many other causes of baldness too, but again, none are as prevalent as pattern baldness. The other causes of balding are assignable for such small percentages of instances, and in many instances are the easiest to prevent, detect or even reverse. Other known causes of balding are hormonal imbalances (especially in women) illnesses, inferior diet, poor hygiene, drug abuse and last but not least, stress. Again, stress is an established known cause of hair loss. Not a major cause, but it ranks in the top few causes.

The scientific name for stress-related baldness is Telogen Effluvium. This type of balding can also be caused by experiences such as trauma, childbirth, puberty, major surgery and even severe chronic illness. Telogen Effluvium is characterized by abrupt hair loss caused by an interruption in the normal hair growth cycle. Stress and trauma cause large numbers of hair follicles to synchronously enter a stage of rest. After some time, the hair follicles will enter a stage of growth, and the old hair will be forced out of the follicle by a new hair that is formed beneath it. The result is a period of hair shedding, and is usually self correcting, but if the stress is ongoing, then this type of balding can become chronic and eventually lead to more prevalent balding.

So in theory you can blame your job for your baldness, or you could blame your hockey team, or football team or basketball team. But in actuality, although stress can lead to hair loss, it is one of the lesser causes of baldness. And it is only really related to more dramatic experiences that have bought on stress. The most likely cause of hair loss is Pattern Baldness, and you can take steps to minimized its effects - but be quick.

Notice from rvalkass:
Anything copied must have Quote tags around it.
Readme ~ Rules ~ AUP

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

The main reason of baldness is genetic. There are also other reasons, but about 95% baldness is genetic. Baldness is a sex linked trait. Incase of baldness of male, he gets this baldness trait from his mother. Baldness is shows more in male and very less in female.Human have one pair of sex chromosome, they are X-Chromosome and Y-Chromosome. If the chromosomal pair is XX she will be a female and if the chromosomal pair is XY, he will be a male. The baldness gene is linked to the X-Chromosome.Now the point, why we say male gets their baldness traits only from his mother. I told before that baldness trait is linked to the X-Chromosome, and male has only one X-Chromosome. When a child born, he gets one sex chromosome from his father (X or Y) and gets other sex chromosome from his mother (X). As mother gives her child only X-Chromosome and male child has only one X-Chromosome, so it is clear that this X-Chromosome comes from his mother. As this X-Chromosome carries the baldness traits, so we say male gets his baldness traits from his mother.Now the question is why we found baldness more in male but less in females. There are two types of genes dominant and recessive. If dominant and recessive genes stay together, the dominant traits will be shown otherwise the traits of recessive genes will be shown. Incase of baldness, normal condition is dominant to baldness traits. In male, there is only one X-Chromosome, so there is only one gene in the pair to determine the baldness and there is no possibility to have a normal gene to suppress the baldness trait. As a result just presence of baldness gene cause baldness. Incase of female, they have 2 X-chromosome, so there is a possibility to have a normal gene in any of the X-chromosome to suppress baldness. This is why, in female this trait shows only when baldness genes present in both X-chromosome, which is less probable. So we see baldness more in mane than female. Now let Xn for normal condition and Xb for baldness condition gene. So normal male will be XnY and normal female will be XnXn. So, offspring of normal male and normal female will be XnXn or XnY ie., normal. If the father carries bald gene (XbY) and mother carries normal (XnXn) genes, the male child will be normal (XnY) and the female also will be normal (XbXn) but have recessive baldness gene. In this way we can easily show how baldness trait is transmitted from generation to generation.

HiI'm only 27, but I'm suffering from male pattern baldness, as a result, I have to shave my head in order to avoid looking old or unappealing.Baldness has affected my career, I'm an actor. No prizes for guessing why it would affect. I hate getting typecast in caricaturish roles where I have to use words like "*BLEEP*" and "*BLEEP*" despite how eloquent I present myself.Nevertheless, I'm happily focusing on my other career while I'm working on my personal life in being a ladies man (this is not a career btw). I am being told that I need to have an archetype. And archetype is based on looks.And being bald, yes u may have guessed it right, I am being advised to modify my archetype according to people like Neil Strauss and Bruce Willis. Because they are bald.Let's face it. If we all have hair, I would look NOTHING like Bruce Willis or Neil Strauss. They may have their own success, but I dont feel inspired by them. Why should I be another Bruce Willis or Neil Strauss just to attract chicks? Why do ppl have to tell me I need to be a bad-*bottom* type of character as it is in line with my "looks" in order to attract chicks. Why can't I be the eloquent George Clooney in Up in the Air kind of guy, since both of us have similar career traits?I'm cool with jokes about being bald at time, but modifying my life just so that its similar to other bald guys?God, I'm lost at this.