xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
magic

Diabetes And Insulin Pump Therapy Discussion on diabetes control

I wanted to make this a Subforum but didnt know how so I posted this here. I have been a diabeteic for about 25 yrs. I am now on the inslin pump which seems to be working well. I was basically wanting to know if there are otheres diabetices that use the pump or discuss any other ways others could share to help other diabetices control ther sugar levels.

Edited by magic (see edit history)

I have type 2. I have alot of problems that are associated with diabetes also like nurothopy in my feet and lower legs, partial kidney failure, high blood pressure, foot ulcerations and ect... I think more older people should be check normally by there phsicians for diabetes. I am currently on the inslin pump and so far it works good however I still have the weight gain, and dieting just dont help. According to my doctors this is normal and exspected.

I am not a diabetic ? however, since it is in my family I seek to actively control and monitor my glucose levels with my diet choices. I learned this through my grandmother who WAS a diabetic (she passed because of issues relating to a stroke, not her diabetes). That clarified ? there are many ways to control this disease; my grandmother, with diet, managed to wean herself from the need to inject insulin and was instead medicated with one pill a day and her personal diet modifications.

These went as follows:

Add fiber to your diet . . .

Recent studies have shown that EACH unit of fiber ingested (insoluble or soluble) absorb 7 units of carbohydrate ? one article I found notes some interesting things - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Eat smaller meals, but eat more frequently during the day . . .

This helps balance blood sugar over the whole day so that your body is neither going from starvation mode to overfull nor having drastic changes in glycogen.

One of my favorite tricks is ? food separation . . . (if you want to lose weight)

Suzanne Somers has some great recipes featuring this trick, and a food separation bible can also assist in doing this ? it even evened out my aunt who had issues with LOW blood sugar.

Another one of my favorite tricks is ? blood type based eating planning . . . (in order to optimize the previous)

Peter D?Adamo has done some great research on this topic ? it can assist in helping to identify foods which can cause you to go into extremes of sugar overload or otherwise cause your system to mis-function.

Do not deny yourself the comfort food ? just eat smaller portions with a ration of fiber integrated into the meal

Trying to deny yourself of all of your favorites is a key way to cause a diet (as I like to call it ? a life adjustment) to fail ? miserably . . . this is where a bottle of fiber (oat fiber or another type or edible fiber) added to those comfort foods and stirred in so that you cannot tell can assist ? so that you can safely add your treats ? once a week

Physically do a cross check of all of the crevaces of your body ? DAILY . . .

My grand-uncle was also a diabetic; after he lost several of his toes due to lack of circulation (and the propagation of gangrene due to this lack) ? he was not as capable of focusing on some of the dietary issues just because he lost some of the incentive. After he had this loss it seemed to lose focus on diet and got more convinced that diabetes was going to ?get? him.

Making sure you stay on top of the physical issues which can be caused by diabetes can ensure that your spirits stay up and you have one more day to turn things around.

& Don?t give up.

I hope this helps . . .

Thanks for the info its very informative. How ever on the other hand I am limited to there sugestions on high fiber foods due to my potasium is very high and is causing my kidnies to fail. When the doctor gave me the list of what to avoid the foods that have high potasium I looked at him and said gee what can I eat? so fruits and most vegies I cannot eat as well as nuts. But the cerial and brown rice, oatmeal and such I can and those are mostly the type of food I eat. Again thanks for the link I am sure it will help others to have this information. Very apprechative thank you!

Hello everyone who have been afflicted by diabetes

For those who need to know how best to stay healthy with diabetes is to monitor Hba1c levels.

this is also known as glycated hemoglobin which gives a fair idea about the sugar control over the last 120 days

There have many new advances in knowledge, medication and in technology that have made it possible for people with diabetes to live long, productive lives.

Implantable insulin pumps

Researchers are working hard to develop an implantable insulin pump that can measure blood sugar levels and deliver the exact amount of insulin needed. This would make it possible to mimic the action of natural insulin delivery.

Insulin inhalers

Although daily injections of insulin would still be needed, inhaled insulin is currently in clinical trials and may be headed for a fast track approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Insulin Pill

The discovery of a new polymer that may allow development of an effective insulin pill was reported at a recent meeting of the American Chemical Society. When the polymer is used as a pill coating, it allows insulin to get into the bloodstream without being destroyed by the digestive system. So far it has only been tested in animals.

New Insulins

* Glargine (from Aventis Co.) is a basal insulin, offering a more continuous activity with much less of a peak than NPH insulin. It can be used with a very-rapid-acting insulin such as lispro or aspart, and should provide a flatter basal amount of insulin. Until now this has only been possible with twice daily injections of ultralente or by the basal rate of an insulin pump. Currently i'm using this on most of my patients including my mother

* 75/25 lispro mixture

* Aspart (from Novo Nordisk) is a very-rapid-acting insulin that can be injected 15 minutes prior to eating.

Islet Cell Transplant

A new islet cell transplant technique has shown promise in people with Type 1 Diabetes. Called the 'Edmonton' technique, the transplants have resulted in seven patients becoming insulin free for up to 14 months after treatment. Clinical trials are now underway at 10 national diabetes centers to see if the insulin reversal can be successful with more patients. The Edmonton technique uses islet cells (cells from the pancreas) from two or more donor pancreases. The cells are transplanted into a person with diabetes and then special medications are given to prevent rejection of the new cells. One difficulty with the transplants is that even though a person may become free of the need to take insulin, the medications to prevent rejection of new tissue must be taken for a lifetime.

Gene Therapy

Two recent reports describe research into gene therapy for different aspects of diabetes. These reports are in the forefront of what will no doubt be ongoing and exciting research arising from the decoding of the human genome.

Vaccine

"Vaccine" against Diabetes on the Horizon

Scientists have developed the world's first drug that stops the destruction of pancreatic beta cells in humans. It thereby offers the possibility of preventing type 1 diabetes in people at high risk and of halting its progress in people newly diagnosed with it.

The drug is a peptide, a type of protein. By modifying a fragment of the protein, the developers created a drug that can selectively block the activity of immune cells that attack the pancreas. It thus deactivates the cells that attack the pancreas without interfering with the rest of the body’s immune system.

Notice from rvalkass:

Any copied material needs to have Quote tags around it.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)