xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darran

Connecting To Windows Xp Printer Via Leopard Please provide me a step by step guide

Here is my situation:I have a HP printer installed on Windows XP but I am primarily using Leopard for my daily work. It irks me having to always send the files I want to print from my Mac to my PC. It is becoming a chore and I want to ease the process.My host computer is my Mac, and my PC connects to the internet via my Linksys router.The printer is installed and connected on my PC.I want to make it a situation whereby when I want to print a document on my Mac, the print job would go to my PC instead and it will end up printing from there. Can anyone lend me a hand on this?I am very new to this and not even sure how it works. So guys be patient if I take sometime to understand.Thanks in advanced.

Thought I would post my solution here so anyone who gets stucked in the same situation could benefit from it. First I started my PC and enable my printer for sharing. Then I went over to my Mac and tried to locate my Windows PC and subsequently the printer, select it as my default printer and viola. Anything I print goes over to the printer connected to my PC. 1 catch though: my PC has to be switched on whenever I want to print from my Mac. Not that I am complaining though.The only drawback would be the lack of functions, I can't find a way to set the printer to actually print in black and white instead of in color. Back to researching it seems, but I would appreciate it if anyone could actually help me.

Yeah getting it to print in black and white seems to be such a mystery. I also print on a mac OS X from Word, PDF viewers and when checking in the print properties it dosent seem to give you any controls over color. I dont know why its so hard to find. I think Apple thinks we are rich enough to own macs that we can always print in full color lol.

I was going through some macrumors.com and apparently they have solutions although it is a little edgy.

Here is the link:
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-print-in-black-and-white-in-leopard.378730/

So it is basically 2 ways, using the black and white filter under the PDF option and install drivers for the printer you are using on the mac.

the answer

Connecting To Windows Xp Printer Via Leopard

Replying to darran

Hey, I found that... In your browser type 127.0.0.1:631

This is the Common Unix Printing Systems... Click add printer... Follow the screen.

You have to know what kind of printer is... So in my case the printer is a shared windows printer and the method was the SMB connection.

For example.

SMB://192.168.1.1/printername (the name shared)

At the end you have to authorize the conection... For example with a user with rights in the printer... Not an administrator neccesary.

Regards

Rafael G�mez - Colombia :)

-reply by Rafael G�mez

Printing between Mac & PCConnecting To Windows Xp Printer Via Leopard

I did this myself just a week ago.  My Mac is my host computer but my wife has a Windows laptop.  Instead of using the Linksys router, return it if you can and buy an Apple Airport Extreme.  If your printer has wireless capabilities, plug the USB cable into the airport extreme. On the PC, download from Apple's website its Bonjour software which allows a PC to detect the presence of a wireless printer. Boom you are done.

-reply by Robert

Printing from PC to mac OS10.3 usb connected to non wireless printerConnecting To Windows Xp Printer Via Leopard

See subject title.

I am trying to print from my pc laptop running vista to my G85 HP printer which is connected by usb cable to mac G4. Printer is not wireless. I can get my pc to see the mac (by pinging) but cannot get mac to see pc. Have tried a multitude of fixes, sharing, and setting up printer by IP address and queue name, to no avail. Some advice has been to add a ps driver, I'm not sure what they mean. I assume they mean that I first need to convert my pc file to postscript, but how does that help if I can't see the mac or printer on the network. I have spent countless hours trying to fix, is there is a software fix or am I going to need to purchase hardware. By the way, mac does not have airport installed. 

What I can't understand is if both computers can see the router, and get to the internet, why they can't see each other, and why I can't see the printer thru the mac.

-reply by Dominic