xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tricky77puzzle

Windows Vista Sp1 Is Out its official.

Today I checked windows Update because I had nothing better to do, and I found that Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was out.

I'm going to install it and see what's so good about it. As I type this sentence, the update has finished downloading 8%.

I'll also be keeping a time log of how long it takes, and how much time Vista takes to install the service pack.

Okay, here's the log:

Start install (00:00:00)

-----Installing Windows update portion (00:00)... done (04:47)

Restarting (00:04:47)

Installing Service pack (00:06:09)

-----Stage 1 of 3 (06:09)... done (20:00)

-----Stage 2 of 3 (20:01)... done (20:32)

Restarting... (00:21:40)

Welcome Screen (00:22:48)

Installing service pack... (00:23:10)

-----Stage 3 of 3 (23:10)... done (26:48)

Welcome (00:26:48)

Install Finished (00:27:10)

So, all in all, except for downloading, it took me 27 minutes and 10 seconds to install SP1. They said it would take at least an hour... I guess they were wrong.

Edited by tricky77puzzle (see edit history)

How is the service pack? I have a copy of Windows Vista but I've not installed it yet. I'm quite happy with Windows XP Pro at the moment. If the service pack does enough to improve Vista I'm tempted to install it on a partition.

How is the service pack? I have a copy of Windows Vista but I've not installed it yet. I'm quite happy with Windows XP Pro at the moment. If the service pack does enough to improve Vista I'm tempted to install it on a partition.

No noticeable difference yet. I'm going to check things out in a while.

Funny, when Windows updates something, it doesn't look like anything's been updated at all.

Wow mine took about 50 minutes to install, but I assume you have a faster machine or rather a faster hard drive to get it done in less then 30 minutes. As for anything new to Vista hard to say but it sure does use up space tricky77puzzle check your winsxs folder in your hard drive because I am curious how much that got bigger after having SP1 installed since mine is at nearly 6 gigs now.

Wow mine took about 50 minutes to install, but I assume you have a faster machine or rather a faster hard drive to get it done in less then 30 minutes. As for anything new to Vista hard to say but it sure does use up space tricky77puzzle check your winsxs folder in your hard drive because I am curious how much that got bigger after having SP1 installed since mine is at nearly 6 gigs now.

Well... yeah, I guess it's my hard drive. It gets a "5.2" on the Vista Experience Index.

My winsxs folder is now currently 6.03 GB. It contains 31,220 files, and 7,976 folders.

How much was yours beforehand?

Last I remember it was a little over two gigs, but a couple of programs where installed but regardless they wouldn't have taken that much anyway. Interesting that you brought up the righting I believe mine was at a 3.9 when I did it, but course when I build my computer I build for cost effectiveness, although $1000 isn't cost effective, but to run vista I had to buy parts that were compatible with Vista which was like the Monitor and I think the motherboard and that was it. Of course I bet if I dropped in a graphics card I could boost that rating just a bit. Of course I am not to worried about that computer blowing up anytime soon since my parents mostly use it :lol:.EDIT: For my Winsxs folder I have 31,046 files and 8,012 folders, I bet it would be a lot more if I moved everything my laptop to the desktop which would be about 10gb of software and files related to that software I bet I could push the Winsxs folder to at least 7-8GB. However, I won't be using my PC much until next semester when I install linux on it.

So whats there new in windows vista.Can anyone who has installed it tell me whether there is anything extra in update or notI hope microsoft brings some updates so that it possible to open MS-DOS in fullscreen mode...I need it for my doing my c++ programs. :lol:

Last I remember it was a little over two gigs, but a couple of programs where installed but regardless they wouldn't have taken that much anyway. Interesting that you brought up the righting I believe mine was at a 3.9 when I did it, but course when I build my computer I build for cost effectiveness, although $1000 isn't cost effective, but to run vista I had to buy parts that were compatible with Vista which was like the Monitor and I think the motherboard and that was it. Of course I bet if I dropped in a graphics card I could boost that rating just a bit. Of course I am not to worried about that computer blowing up anytime soon since my parents mostly use it :lol:.
EDIT: For my Winsxs folder I have 31,046 files and 8,012 folders, I bet it would be a lot more if I moved everything my laptop to the desktop which would be about 10gb of software and files related to that software I bet I could push the Winsxs folder to at least 7-8GB. However, I won't be using my PC much until next semester when I install linux on it.

Mine was a 5.2 and I got the whole thing, including the monitor, for the low price of $800, including tax. Well, then again, it was refurbished...

there are many updates so it could take a whileit is a phenominal file sizeit is not supposed to be released into win update until aprili had to dload it from ms website