xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dexter

Are Usb Cables For Phones Over-inflated?

I got a new nokia 3120 the other day, and I thought... cool, I can upload stuff to my phone from my pc... unfortunately I feel that $70 AUD (about $55 USD, and apparently it was on sale, from $105 AUD) is waaay overpriced... Is it just Australia or are they this expensive elsewhere, and do you feel that this is too much for a cable?

It's not just Australia, it's the US as well.Of course it's too much! $55 USD for ajumble of wires. I could make that witha few specifications, online lookups, andmaterials for $15 bucks including electricaltime wasted on the army system I playin between.

I bought one over eBay from Hong Kong for $10 w/ a CDR containing software...Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it to work, but of course that could just be me.Has anybody had any luck with Hong Kong phone cables?

I got a cable for a SonyEricsson T300 thinking it could provide GPRS internet for my laptop. It didn't provide anything. I still use IR to transfer files. Waste of like ?30.

I got a new nokia 3120 the other day, and I thought... cool, I can upload stuff to my phone from my pc... unfortunately I feel that $70 AUD (about $55 USD, and apparently it was on sale, from $105 AUD) is waaay overpriced... 

Is it just Australia or are they this expensive elsewhere, and do you feel that this is too much for a cable?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definitely they are _way_ overpriced!! Like all cables for hi-tech devices. For example - I urgently needed a usb printer cable for my printer over Xmas - so went to PC world and bought the cheapest cable they had which cost me 11.99. Normally I buy these types of cables from a computer supplier ( wholesale ) and the cost is 49 pence! I don't have to buy hundreds - I can buy one if I need - so the markup from people like PC World is crazy. This is where these companies make their biggest profits - and I am sure if you search around on the internet you can find ( a compatible ) cable much cheaper - especially if you look at Far East sites. Snag is postal costs -and wait. My supplier has a minum delivery charge of 12 quid - so its not worth it unless I need a few things - but if I do the saving is huge. I used to supply these to my customers and charge a fiver - which is still a big markup for me - but less than half the price of the likes of PC-World.