xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FunkySurd

What If Planes Were Made Of Glass How would it be ?

Hello friends!Now I had this wierd dream about waking up in an airplane which was made of glass,a clear see through glass... <_< Now All I could see was the engine, i could see the clouds and also all the area of the planes,even the wings internal and the wheel could be seen...all wires running around...I was just wondering how would you guys feel or would you fear sitting in one of those kind of planesif they make it in the future! ??that's gonna be scary for me and I would not really dare to sit in one unless i'm fully sure that i will reach my destination!Lemme know what you all think about it!Cheers

Well, I suppose if it's made of bullet proof 6-12 inch glass I'd be okay with it since the biggest danger to the glass would be landing and turbulence. Its really like using weak glass that would scare me, but it would be extremely cool to be in a glass plane; however, I doubt they would make glass planes just because of how impracticle it is. You can't just screw a piece of glass to the airplane, the airplane would have to be blown into one glass plane at the same time just because of the qualities of glass.

That would probably be intensively scary, but I would definitely ride it. It would be like a paid ride in an amusement park!

That sounds awesome lol. Everything below you and all around you would be going by so fast it would be a different experience from the traditional plane ride. Isn't glass much heaver then the materials used for planes? I don't think this will every happen though since the thickness require of glass to be strong enough would be too great and we'll end up with a bulky plane <_<. nether the less great idea.

While it would be cool for a little while, it would get old as soon as you got above cloud cover, or if there were no clouds. The sun coming through the glass would be extremely bright and all. Now, if the plane were made out of some sort of material where the transparency could be controlled... that'd be pretty cool. If they could turn it transparent just for a couple minutes I'd be down with that. Kinda awkward for anyone in the bathroom though.

the wright brothers plane weighs 100 pounds i think, thats just a normal weight of a person.i think it is very possible but it could only support 2 people, the passenger and the pilot. glass is very brittle even the thickest glass is very brittle( compensates because of thickness) they don't have tensile strenght. but a mixture of glass and plastic( can't remember the name but a guess is p/flexiglass could do it.)i think it's wonderful to ride this one. you can almost touch the clouds <_< that's a nice ride.

No, glass would be a terrible idea, glass is very hard (even though it is a supercooled liquid) so that during takeoff, landing and turbulence the wings might break off or something. Also you can't just "attach" glass wings to the body just like that, the plane would have to be made with the wings etc already on it!Instead of making a plane completely of glass, why not have a "glass room" on a plane, which basically has the same effect (presuming that you are inside the glass room).Or maybe like said above some material that can be controlled to allow sunlight through and stuff, but impossible to make a plane completely out of glass...

Traditional glass is too heavy to consider as a structural component in a large passenger aircraft, no to mention it's just way to fragile and unable to withstand the flex and temperature extremes that aluminum is able to shrug off. So I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that what you really meant to say is, "What would it be like to fly in a transparent aircraft?" That sound about right? Let's say, for instance, as in Star Trek IV The Voyage Home, it really was possible to manufacture transparent aluminum. I don't really understand why that was so important in the movie, but maybe it'd be kinda cool as a novelty to use it in an airliner to really give the passengers that unique experience they've been dieing for all their lives. I bet there are people who'd pay extra for the thrill of having that wrap-around 360 degree view while flying. I think it'd be pretty neat, too, but I don't think I'd like the landing sequence. Now THAT would be just a little too scary. Even for me... Seeing the full clear, light-pollution-free night sky from 35,000 feet would be awesome, though...

This is a very interesting idea.I imagine it would be scary taking off as everything would disappear very quickly and you could see how far away the ground is.Then how would everything INSIDE of it be attached? What if the glass smashes or something? And from the wind speeds, couldnt it also get scratched very quickly, rendering it useless?Nice idea!It is sort of like the flying elevator from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!A200

As stated above, an entire glass airplane would be impractical, if not impossible.An idea to consider, however, is a small area just outside of the door, where glass can be extended from an opening to create a temporary glass room. It would effectively be outside of the airplane, with a metal frame to keep it attached.That would also make it less dangerous to open the door of an airplane--there would be no possibility of being sucked out!

Wow what an imagination, Kinda reminds me of wonderwoman and her invisable plane, I think it would be fun, a little scary but fun. I would give it a try. I might ride 90% of the way with my eyes closed but still I would try it.

It would be such a different experience but i guess if in future they were the only planes left you just have to anyways.but i rather not see all those wires and all.. it'd justs be unsafe cause if the plane crashes there is no chance of living cause the glass just breaks easily.. with the material they use atm.. there are still chances to survive but far imagine all glass.. even if its not a bad crash .. the glass will frken kill you lol..it'd be nice to see one though.. mayb for display haha

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the idea is that of a plane with a transparent body, not necessarily one of glass. The posters above me have already re-iterated that glass is thoroughly unsuitable for planes due to the forces acting on the plane itself. If, however, we could have a really strong, transparent compound capable of withstanding such stress, tension and pressure, we have, as mentioned, a "glass" plane.It would be interesting to be able to see all that sky and space. It'd be even more thrilling to look down as the plane is in the air. However, it would be a really awful place to be in when the sun is shining oh-so-brightly. This would be suitable only for night flights, methinks <_<

I think it would only be scary the first few times until you get the hang of it... It would be an extraordinary experience to be able to see everything around you... A panoramic view from 10.000 meters. Plus the fact that you can see the internal workings of the plane. Thinking about it many things would be great if they were made out of glass or at least something transparent - cars and specially car engines... Think how it would be to see the pistons going up and down; to see the explosions and the smoke. But that's just dream... there is no glass strong enough to contain those explosions. They could make planes out of glass thick enough to be pffer protection, but it would make the plane much too heavy so it wouldn't be efficient. I have never flew in a plane so I am looking forward to the day when I will, with or without the glass plane. <_<