xisto Community
csp4.0

Mysqli Error - Phpbb3

Ok, my forum (phpbb3) works but sometimes it displays this message

General ErrorSQL ERROR [ mysqli ]Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) [2002]An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

This normally happens about once a week for about 2 minutes but it is really getting annoying. I installed phpbb3 fine, it didn't show any errors.

But the main thing is that before this happens normally I can't connect to my website (obelisk.trap17.com) it either takes forever to load or shows the "connection has been reset" error.

Then it goes to this error message. It lasts for about 2-3 minutes but 5 minutes max.

Is there anyway to solve this problem?

hmm, I agree...Stopped... For now, for some reason this always happens at night, never have I seen this error in broad daylight, and also could it be because I used MySQLi instead of just MySQL?

I very much doubt that the cause of the problem is the use of PHP 5, which is the level of PHP on the Xisto server.
The improved MySql functions (Mysql'i' functions) were included in version 5 of PHP.
Otherwise, many other members would be receiving the same errors.

One likely cause of this error is a busy Mysql Server at the time you connect and process the pages. Or there could be a restricted 'pipeline' between you and the Server, at the ISP your members use, or between the multiple of the connections made between the Server and the end-users.
Without further diagnosis, it is premature to suggest this is strictly a Server issue. It might be, but you do not have the data to support the claim that it is solely a Server issue. Sorry.

The simple solution, until the Server is improved, or the Load Balancing gets tweaked, or the connections improve, is to simply hit the Reload button on the Browser. Pass the word amongst your visitors.

Another issue is the amount of 'bloat' in the Software you are running. Phpbb3 is a feature packed Community Forum, with all the bells and whistles. How many mods have you added to the Vanilla package? All those Mods add demands (queries) on the database. Check out a less-bloated Forum Package, maybe. AEF Forums now have a convertor from Phpbb3 to AEF. Might be worth checking out???

The MySql Manual lists the following information about Error Number 2002, which you report above:

Error: 2002 (CR_CONNECTION_ERROR)
Message: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '%s' (%d)

Where %s is a string value and %d is a numeric value.

It also suggest that the Error Logs may contain more information about the source of the Error. Perhaps contacting the Support department at Xisto will resolve this issue. They will be able to do the checking of the Log files and better assist you in resolving this issue for you.
https://support.xisto.com/ to register a Ticket.