xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
EricDrinkard

Google Desktop Search A Quick Review

I downloaded the google desktop search last week and I have been testing it for some time and This is my review.The look of the search is great it offers the same look as the google search it's self. The search is accurate and finds files fast. There are customation that you can make to tell to not to serach this file of this site even. Once setup you can see a link to the desktop search through the google site. Now enough of the pro now the cons.The program can and will interfer with your firewall you must grant special permission to this program and that got on my nerves. I had to reinstall the search 3 times and well I just don't need the search that bad. Over all is it a great program and I enjoyed it very much.ThanksEric Drinkard

It's probably a late reply, but using the Google Desktop Search is useful and safe for your computer alone. There was an article in the newspaper where if you install the desktop search for a public computer, then people can easily search for private information. So my review for it would be that it is useful but should be installed only on your own personal computer.

I don't like these kind of programs... I'm not afraid of spywares but I just prefer using by the website... even e-mails I don't use programs to read it... I read them by their own website... I prefer because there are somethings that you can only do by the website... but... if I would download one of those programs I would download google one's...

It's probably a late reply, but using the Google Desktop Search is useful and safe for your computer alone.  There was an article in the newspaper where if you install the desktop search for a public computer, then people can easily search for private information.  So my review for it would be that it is useful but should be installed only on your own personal computer.

42751[/snapback]

The problem isn't with Google Search, it doesn't do any special hacking of your computer to get private data. There is no security problem with the search application.

The security flaw is in the windows OS itself. The private data isn't protected at all and any application could get it.