xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Southa

Connecting Pc To Linksys Router Cant do it...

Ok, I have PC1 connected to my router just fine (though wired because wireless card is faulty) I am trying to connect PC2 to internet so i can DL some updates and what not. Only thing is... it's not working. I pull the Ethernet cable from PC1 and insert into PC2 and a little bubble in the bottom right-hand corner comes up that says "Local Area Connection Connected.... 100Mbps" I open my browser (both I.E. and firefox) and both act as if there was no connection at all. IPconfig.... fine Ping IP.... fine. What is the deal?PC2 WAS originally connected to another network and was probably set up manually. How do I change to automatically connect(?) or detect settings?DHCP I don't know what it is I need to do or how? I am running XP and a step by step guide would help my incompetent self . Thanks

Ok, I have PC1 connected to my router just fine (though wired because wireless card is faulty) I am trying to connect PC2 to internet so i can DL some updates and what not. Only thing is... it's not working. I pull the Ethernet cable from PC1 and insert into PC2 and a little bubble in the bottom right-hand corner comes up that says "Local Area Connection Connected.... 100Mbps" I open my browser (both I.E. and firefox) and both act as if there was no connection at all. IPconfig.... fine Ping IP.... fine. What is the deal?

What I do when I freshly plug in an eternet cable is to actually shut everything off and switch it on again and usually this works for me.

PC2 WAS originally connected to another network and was probably set up manually. How do I change to automatically connect(?) or detect settings?DHCP I don't know what it is I need to do or how? I am running XP and a step by step guide would help my incompetent self . Thanks

You can always use the wireless connections and double click on the network you want to connect automatically. Or you can use 192.168.1.1 on your host computer to actually configure the router settings.

Not sure if I managed to help though.

I didn't exactly reboot. Power down everything and power it up again.192.168.1.1 by right is your localhost, did you try it on your host computer? Meaning the computer which has your eternet cable plugged in directly to the source?

go to network connections in cpanel and click the properties of your wireless network adapter. Click tcp/ip settings and ensure that automatically get ip/dns addresses are checked. This will enable dhcp. If it is already checked go over to your command line. see if you can ping 127.0.0.1 first. If so your wireless is communicating. wouldnt hurt to then use ipconfig/release and /renew. If you still cant connect after these steps, your lsp winsock layer might be corrupted from spyware etc. There is a free utility called winsock or somehting like that. (you can find it at majorgeeks.com) that will reset your settings fresh that might have been messed up in the registry. Make sure your computer is clean of adware and viruses, as they can cause some strange problems such as not being able to connect to the internet etc.