xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FlameX

Connecting To The Internet On Ubuntu

Hey friends. When i had installed UBUNTU, i could not get connected to the net . I have a DHCP net connection, my net was also on. Could you suggest me what should i have done to get my net connected? I'm not criticising Ubuntu, Ubuntu rocks, but i had a problem connecting to the net. Suggestions Required !!

I would recommend checking out the Ubuntu support forums if you haven't already. The guys there are incredibly helpful, they usually reply very quickly, and 9 out of 10 times will solve your problem. If not, they'll direct you to other resources which can help.

Quick suggestion from me. Check the network status (connectivity/signal, etc.) on Ubuntu. You could be connected and not know it (the internet could just be loading very slow). If that is the case, then try turning off IPv6 which is turned on by default (you can find out how to do that here).

hey I tried the forums...first u need to configure the modem(by downloading a software from linmodems.org....a gzip file) and then execute some commands in the terminalBUT I WAS NOT ABLE TO EXECUTE ANY COMMANDS >>>>IT ALWAYS GAVE AN ERROR:"Gzip:file not found"ANY HELP WOULD BE REALLY GOOD.IT WANT TO BROWSE NET ON UBUNTU AS WELL.Please if there someone who knows how to execute commands or has been using ubuntu then please post in here the commands which work to configure modem in ubuntu with step by step instructionsthanks in advance

hey I tried the forums...first u need to configure the modem(by downloading a software from linmodems.org....a gzip file) and then execute some commands in the terminalBUT I WAS NOT ABLE TO EXECUTE ANY COMMANDS >>>>IT ALWAYS GAVE AN ERROR:

"Gzip:file not found"

Download the file to your desktop, then unzip it there. Then, go in the terminal, and type cd Desktop/(name of the folder you just extracted). Then you can start putting in the commands it tells you. If it doesn't work, perhaps it wants the files to still be zipped, so just do a cd Desktop to lead it there.

Pradeep are you using 2 hard disk . 1 for Windows and 1 for Ubuntu . ?or have you partitioned a single hard disk into 2 , which contains Windows n Ubuntu .. Well, if you have done that, let me tell you buddy, that in the future you might have problems, 'cause the RAM finds a mapping problem sometimes due to 2 operating system loaded on a single hard disk .. I'm telling you this 'cause i have come across this problem once, and i was just saved from HDD crash .. You, too, take care of this ..

I had the same problem. Although, I installed Ubuntu using Wubi, so it might have been a little different. I was able to connect to my wireless network properly, but for some reason the browser couldn't load any webpages. I didn't really need to install Ubuntu so I just gave up on it, and I'll probably install it again in a couple months to play around with it.

I also had a problem with Gusty Gibbon and I think it's the only reason why I'm still using WinXp. I could not join an Windows domain. On the server I'm running Window 2003 Server Enterprise. When I install Ubntu on my desktop I try to get plug ins for the media player and other things but the system does not see internet. I can see anyfile on any machine on the network. I can surf the internet because I can configure the browser's proxie settings but the thing keeps telling me I dont have internet. Is there anything like a firewall client that I need to install to make life easier for me?

@kudmus:Perhaps you can try with IPTABLES, and add some forwarding rules...@FlameX:I also had trouble configuring Ubuntu to properly work with my network... You don't need do download anything, linmodem is for dial-up Winmodems, to work under Linux... Nothing to do with broadband... I used ADSL, and my ADSL modem kept hanging up... Then, ISP support guys told me, when they heard I was using Linux, to try and set my ADSL modem to work as a bridge, not a router, and to use pppoeconf to configure it... I did it, and it worked like a charm... Now, I actually enjoy in almost full ADSL speed, that I didn't have under Wintendo...Maybe it's worth you playing in that area?Also, a note, disable all IPv6 support in all the programs you use, since it considerably slows down execution... Until IPv6 is fully implemented accross the internet, IPv6 support is practically unneeded, and has detremental effect on your apps...