xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Creating Forums Help me please

Friend i have hosted a Website and i have hosted it in Xisto . Can you please tell me how can i start a Forum in my website similar to Xisto ?Please refer to me the free Forum starters Thanks in Advance

I set up the PHPBB on my site.All you have to do is go to the cPanel and click (double click?) on the PHPBB and then follow the instructions.If you want it in a separate directory and not in the root for the site, you will have to give it a name. (i.e. xxxxxx.trap17.com/forum) Just don't use the "/" when filling in the box where it asks for it.The system will set it up for you, just be sure and write down the names of the files it creates and email them to yourself for reference.Then you just go to xxxxxx.trap17.com/forum/admin.php or whatever it says and start managing your forum.Steve

Don't bother going with phpBB3 or SMF, it will just give you headaches.Use MyBB. Although it isnt in Fantastico, it is easy to download it from https://mybb.com/

Just extract then upload and install. It has heaps of things installed as STANDARD (some of their stuff are things which the phpbb3 and smf teams refuse to include) ie you don't have to install them as a plugin, and if there is something extra you want, there are countless plugins available at https://mybb.com/

Installing plugins is easy, just upload the .php file to /inc/plugins and activate in admin cp! No need to do heaps of code modifications.There are a lot of themes available as well, and they are easy to customise.My forum is using MyBB (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and I made it as it is without having to do any major code edits (the biggest thing I had to do was to integrate my sites design with the forum, by pasting code in the template editor in admin cp).

MyBB 1.4 comes out sometime soon, and it looks excellent. MyBB is an awesome alternative to vB and better than phpBB3 and SMF. Look past the name (most people hate mybb for some reason, even if they have NEVER tried it) and give it a go, since I converted from phpBB3, I have not regretted it one bit.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

There are a lot of free forums software out there. They just require some downloading, uploading, and configuring to get them to work.

A few good ones I would suggest are:

phpBB3

punBB

SMF

AEF

Those are all PHP and MySQL based.

I like phpBB3 because of its look and it has a good ACP. It is also fairly fast, but it is kind of large.

I have never used punBB, but a friend told me it is good. It is light and doesn't use a single image.

SMF is cool because of its look. It looks nice and has a lot of addons. I just had problems putting them on.

I prefer AEF over all of the others though. It is light, only about 6mb, and it looks great. The website for AEF is hosted by Xisto - Web Hosting and one of our very own moderators helped with the development of AEF. I would suggest using AEF.