xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
KansukeKojima

Economic Globalization "corporate Greed"

Recently I have been learning about Globalization in my Social 10 class. This article stems from an assignment that I have recently completed. The thesis of my article is that the claim of economic globalization working for the benefit of undeveloped nations is completely false. These corporations work only for their own good and their goal is not to help undeveloped nations. They would rather exploit them.

Also, I would appreciate it if you would post your own opinions as well. I hope to have a lengthy discussion about this issue.

First, if you do not know anything about globalization or its concepts, then please read this article on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_globalization

Now, my actual article.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Economic Globalization attempts to solve the problems of the world by cramming money and financial plans down the throats of undeveloped nations. Whenever a corporation tries to help an undeveloped country, they begin to exploit the cheap labor that has become available to them. Globalization does not build strong economies, but it does build strong companies. In fact, certain companies have become far wealthier than entire nations. Also, as companies out source their work people in developed nations begin to lose their jobs because it is too expensive for the company to pay them.

It is obvious that the intent of advocates for globalization does not lie with the ideal of helping undeveloped nations. For example, in areas such as Sub-Saharan Africa, and Southern Asia, 46.4-30.4% of the population lives below $1 per day. Clearly these large businesses exploit a large work force by paying them next to nothing. Even children are forced to work in sweatshops to help provide for their families. These workers are reduced to nothing but slaves. As this continues companies become even more powerful than the nations that they are claiming to help.

The argument that breaking down international trade barriers will increase the standard of living is false. When large corporations invest in a nation, they are only looking to help themselves and make a profit, not help others. As companies attempt to cut production costs in order to compete with factories in the developing world, citizens of devoloped nations begin to lose jobs. Not only does Globalization fail to help other nations, but it is detrimental to devolped nations.

World leaders must realize that economic globalization is not the way to help solve the problems of the undeveloped world. They must choose to support the best alternative plan to increase these countries overall standard of living, and quality of life.

(Note: All information in this article comes for handouts I have been given in school. Unfortunately, I do not know quite who to give credit for information due to this fact.)

This is indeed a problem and I agree with that large organizations exploit the poor but I do think the problem existed before. I think in poorer countries there is no job available and the pay would of been about the same if they were to get paid for a similar local job. It is this bad and its because of poor economy in their country. Why would you work somewhere for 1 dollar a day if you could get more else where, for many there is no other option. The people to blame are their corrupt leaders who do little to develop their country and fill only their pockets.