xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TikiPrincess

Recommendations For Waterproof Cameras

So I've returned from my trip to the Philippines, which was awesome and more to be posted later, when my husband and I realized that we really need a waterproof camera. For one thing, we missed out on some memorable snorkeling pictures in the crystal clear waters of Boracay. For another, my camera had a bit of water inside it from the humidity and wouldn't work properly about halfway through the trip. :o I'm waiting for my mom and my brother to get back so I can flip through all of their photos.Anyways, I've done a bit of research and decided that I don't want to have a waterproof housing for my camera, like with the Fuji and others where you have to attach some plastic monstrosity around it. The camera becomes too bulky and awkward. So I've narrowed it down to the Pentax and the Olympus all-weather models. I'm leaning towards the Pentax because the Olympus uses a non-standard memory card, which could get expensive and inconvenient. Neither of them have an extending lens, so I'm assuming the zoom is digital, meaning that I'll be sacrificing image quality. I'm okay with that since I'm not doing professional photography, just quick point-and-shoot memories. What I don't want are blurry pictures, especially if I'm using the camera in standard light and not underwater.If anyone has any experience with these brands or particular models, I would really appreciate your input. I've been switching between the Sony Cyber-shot and the Cannon PowerShot for the past few years, although I did have an Olympus SLR while I was taking photography in high school. But digital cameras are really different than traditional cameras, so I can't really base my experience off it.

I have a Pentax 20W. I take it fly fishing all the time. It is a simple point and shoot camera. It is waterproof so you can take pictures under water. It fits in my shirt pocket and I don't have to worry if I drop it. The pictures are good and the macro function is good too. It doesn't have a viewfinder so in bright light it is a little hard to see the LCD screen on the back. The movie mode is only fair. You can't zoom while filming or you get this horrible noise--which is the lens motor. Not loud in person, but on the play back is very unacceptable.Good luck with your purchase.