xisto Community
ironchicken

What Editor Do You Use To Code Php Tell us...

Usually, in all my web design project, I use Adobe dreamweaver CS3 because this program can realize several language that important in web design, we can design it with the preview, so if we make a mistake, is easier for us find our mistake. But , there are some alternative software to write your PHP.....1. Notepad ++You must try this software. First Notepad ++ is totally free editor application, small, run as fast as notepad, and small size with a good features. It also gives the extra functionality to the general user: colorize the user defined words. You can print your source code in color (or whatever you want) if you have a color printer (WYSIWYG). Furthermore, Notepad++ includes the multi-view feature, which allows the user to edit the different documents at the same time, and even edit the same document synchronously in 2 different views.Notepad++ supports drag and drop: not only you can drop the file from explorer to open it, but also you can drag and drop a document from a view to another. With all the functionalities, Notepad++ runs as fast as Notepad provided by MS Windows. Supported languages for the moment: (c/c++/Java/html/xml/php/asp/vb/vbs/SQL/Objective-C/javascript/ini/makefile/MSDos Display). To find, google it.2.phpDesigner 2008The second tool is PHPdesigner 2008. This tools is so powerful and give so many excellent features such as Work with object-oriented programming (OOP), Intelligent syntax highlighting, Support HTML, XHTML, MySQL, XML, CSS, JavaScript, VBScript, Java, C#, Perl, Python and Ruby, Work with projects and frameworks, Support for real debugging, Enjoyable to use for hours and hours. But must pay for it.....3.EditPlusIf you have try all above, and still unsatisfied, try this and Google it. But I'm not really like this software.For my operating system I use Windows XP SP2, the most OS that used today. if you like you can install vista transformation pack 7.0, its really nice....

i don't code php (i use xhtml+css), however if i did i would use textpad.

it is free, has highlighting for different syntaxes...

i am overwhelmed by this product, so i'll just give you some of textpad's features:

* Huge files can be edited, up to the limits of virtual memory. See Specifications for the actual limits. * Supports Universal Naming Convention (UNC) style names, and long file names with spaces.
* CUA compliant keyboard commands.
* English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese and Spanish user interfaces.
* A spelling checker with dictionaries in 10 languages.
* Multiple files can be simultaneously edited, with up to 2 views per file.
* Warm Start feature lets you restart exactly where you left off.
* In addition to the usual cut, copy and paste capabilities, selected text can be case shifted and block indented, and characters, words and lines can be transposed. Cut and copied text can be appended to the clipboard, as well as replacing its contents.
* Text can be automatically word-wrapped at the margin, or at a specified column, if it does not fit on a line. In this mode, text can be split into separate lines where wrapping occurs, or lines can be intelligently joined, preserving paragraphs.
* OLE2 drag and drop editing for copying and moving text between documents.
* Unlimited undo/redo capability. The undo buffer can be optionally cleared when a file is saved, or by using the Mark Clean command.
* Block (column) selection mode, and visible display of tabs and spaces.
* A keystroke macro recorder, with up to 16 active macros.
* Sorting, using up to 3 keys.
* Text can be automatically aligned and indented, relative to the previous line, to aid block indentation.
* The right mouse button pops up an in-context menu.
* The cursor can be constrained to the text, or can be positioned freely in the document view.
* Toolbar with fly-by usage hints, and an active status bar.
* A powerful search/replace engine using UNIX-style regular expressions, with the power of editor macros. Sets of files in a directory tree can be searched, and text can be replaced in all open documents at once.
* Visible bookmarks can be placed on individual lines, and on all occurrences of a search pattern. Bookmarked lines can be cut, copied or deleted.
* A built in file manager for fast file copying, renaming, deleting etc.
* Print previewing, and printing with customizable headers/footers and page breaks.
* Viewer for binary files using a hexadecimal display format.
* Built in file comparison utility, and up to 16 user-defined tools with argument macros.
* Hypertext links from file search and user tool output to the relevant source line.
* DDE interface to other tools, such as MS Visual C++. The editor detects when an open file has been modified by another tool, and prompts you to reopen it.

I personally use Eclipse. Eclipse is an opensource program that is originally made for programming Java. But they have many extensions for programming C++ and some others.

They have an Add-on called PHPeclipse and that is what I use. It includes features to manage the mysql servers, and apache although I just use easyPHP for that. It supports highlighted syntax and realtime debugging. Also at the bottom is a intergrated browser to see your work realtime also. It has tons of cool features and I really like it. Better than notepad++ in case someone mentioned that already.

Well here is the link to the eclipse site and to the PHPeclipse add on download site.

Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org/
PHPeclipse: https://sourceforge.net/projects/phpeclipse/

I strongly suggest it if you are looking for an editor for advanced or beginning users.

Hope I was helpful.